Injector removal with pics

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of a good link with pics to remove an injector. I have a slight miss at idel and think it may be a bad o-ring. I'm going to try to go to the diesel shop today (as much as I dis-like that mechanic) and get it hooked up to the MODIS to check compression, contribution, and injectors buzzed.

Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks;tu

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There is an article in the WIKI on how to do it on an OBS. There isn't a lot of difference in doing it on a Superduty.

When I did mine, I removed the back injector on each side first. That concentrated the drained oil into the two rear cylinders making it easier to suck out later. I used a collection jar with a vacume pump to suck the oil out.

At the same time, I changed all the glow plugs. I waited until all the new injectors were in, and with the UVC conectors still apart, I "bump cranked" the motor blowing any residual oil out the glow plug holes. Make sure you have plenty of rags covering the heads to limit the oil shower that will come out.

It'll run like crap until all the air gets purged out of the system. That shouldn't take anymore than about an hour on the highway.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you would do all of that for one inejector o-ring. Is that the only/biggest issue with loss of compression and engine misses? Like I said, it only has a miss at idle. When I rev up to about 800rpm it goes away. It does jump sometimes when going down the road...just started doing that day before yesterday.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dis-regard. I passed all the diagnostics with flying colors. They suggested I take the chip out and see whow it acts. I asked about the injector wiring harness....the guy sniffed the oil cap and said my injector harness seemed fine. I could understand his method with the oil flowing through the same are and the smell of burnt wire, but is that a valid method?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else you can try (has worked for me several times and am going to do this again this weekend)...

Take off your valve covers -- leave everything else intact. Run without the covers and take note of the oil spouts on each injector. This will show you if one's not firing. In my case, I think the bottom seat is wearing. I can usually fix it by tightening (to some certain degree) the bolt on the top of the meat plate under the solenoid. Put the solenoid on and run again to see if you've got it. On mine, it's usually loose, but if I tighten too much, I think it pulls away from the seat and won't fire that way. Eventually, I plan to replace the injectors, but this will get you by for a bit....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58