Injectors getting louder. Is one on the way out?

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a slightly uneven idle intermittently for a long time, even after Ford changed the CPS. When that did nothing I unplugged the harness from as many sensors as I could get to check for moisture, cleaned them and reassembled them with a little plug grease to repel future moisture. This was all done last year and the problem hadn't gotten any better or worse since then.

About the same time I did the Hutch mod and shimmed my FPR and noticed a slight improvement in the "smoothness" of the idle, but no change to the occasional idle problem (not that I was expecting a change).

A month ago I changed the oil and filters (main and bypass) with AMSOIL synthetic oil and Ea filter and changed the fuel filter with a Motorcraft filter. Next, I towed my Bronco (GCW: 17,000 lb) about 700 miles with no issue. Immediatly after unloading the trailer, however, the injector noise started to get much louder above 1700 rpm in fourth and fifth gear. Sometimes the "clack-clack-clack" at idle is louder as well.

Right off the bat I removed and reseated the fuel filter (darn thing is a pain sometimes) and checked the engine oil level just to be sure. All was fine.

So now I am wondering, have I had an ICP sensor or regulator problem for some time and is now getting worse? Or do I have an injector preparing to exit stage left?

Me really not wanting to take my truck in because I prefer to turn my own wrenches doesn't work out well with my busy training schedule, so I have to do as much research as possible before I break out the creeper. The more I can narrow the problem before I have a weekend off from flying the better. Thanks in advance for any help!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air getting into the fuel maybe..from the Fuel Pump inlet fitting :dunno

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always have the injectors buzzed to see...??? I also had an uneven idel, I could hear it throught the exhaust. I think my fix for it was unplugging the ICP sensor (wiped it off) and let my truck idel without it for about 15min. I also changed my oil from valvolin 10-40 to rotella 15-40.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I was gonna say something about that water/meth injection maybe leaking..

quickest way to try and quiet injectors, throw a can of two-stroke oil in the fuel tank

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else run amsoil synthetic? Any issues there?

I was gonna say something about that water/meth injection maybe leaking..

quickest way to try and quiet injectors, throw a can of two-stroke oil in the fuel tank

I'll check the water/meth, but I haven't noticed any signs of it leaking boost pressure anywhere.

I agree, I've been running the Wal-Mart two-stroke oil for some time and am quite happy with it.

You can always have the injectors buzzed to see...??? I also had an uneven idel, I could hear it throught the exhaust. I think my fix for it was unplugging the ICP sensor (wiped it off) and let my truck idel without it for about 15min. I also changed my oil from valvolin 10-40 to rotella 15-40.

I don't have that fancy diagnostic software, would I have to go to a dealer to get them buzzed?

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have that fancy diagnostic software, would I have to go to a dealer to get them buzzed?

No, anyone with a snap-on diagnostic tool can buzz the injectors. Transmission shops or a local diesel shop (which I would reccomend going to them vs a transmission shop anyways) usually has them. Sometime you can get a free scan from them if you are a regular customer, but the most I have been charged is $20.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
throw a can of two-stroke oil in the fuel tank

X2

There are mixed opinions on the subject, but the 2 stroke oil works for me.

The other thing that comes to mind, is the fuel line going from the top of the tank to the fuel pump. Depending on your view, it may or may not be part of the "Hutch" mod. I think generally the "Hutch" mod is thought of as being internal to the fuel tank.

There is a quick disconnect (QD) in the fuel line between the tank and the pump. While QD's work OK in a pressure application, they kinda suck in a suction application. (Pun intended) They like to leak air into that fuel line. The best thing to do, if not done already, is to remove the fuel line between the tank and the electric fuel pump including that QD and pitch it out. Replace it with a one piece rubber fuel hose all the way between the tank and the pump with some good old worm gear hose clamps on each end.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58