installed 08 rearend into my 01, info??

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an 08 rear off a guy. I installed it the other day. I thought I had issues with mine. Turns out maybe not. But anyway, I got the rear, with leaf springs and blocks. I cant use the leafs cause they 08's are longer. I used my original blocks not the 08 blocks(both sets are 2 inch, spacers) My blocks are flat(level) the 08 blocks are tapered(smaller towards the front. You need not only to put them on not upside down but there is a left and right.
My wuestion is I have a vibration at 40. Its minor now. I had a lot of driveshaft work done and my trucks gotten much better. But its still there slightly. Immediatly gone when i take my foot off the gas. This only happens from maybe 35 to 45 mph. DId i have to use the tapered blocks with the 08 rear? Was the 08's using it to account for extra movement in the leaf springs cause they are so much longer?

The Extractor

Breaker of parts.
Reaction score

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took my truck to the transmission shop for having a humming noise (below me) and I think it is the torque converter. Noise is made starting at 30-45 depending on my accleration and road level. Very interested in what your fix is...

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been fixing and fixing. The vibrations were bad. I replaced one injector that came up bad(passing buzz and cct tests now), replaced the tc, replaced u joints twice. The advance auto ones, were loose fitting into the shaft. The local drive shaft shoip balanced it twice and installed their u jounts. I sold my dana 80 thinking the ring and pinion were loose causing vibes(replaced with 08 10.5 rear. Its gotten much much better. I have extreme AT tires, so I can feel those. When I take my foot off the throttle at 40 mph, I can somewhat feel the tires. But I lose the last of the driveline vibe when i take my foot off the gas. The last of the vibrations I am speaking of are in the steering wheel. I have balanced the tires twice, and rotated. The tires would not stop making the vibe due to me taking my foot off the gas. They would keep it the same as long as speed stayed constant. I replaced the front end leaf bushings with poly. Sway bar bushings etc. I do get a clunk still when going into reverse or drive, and also often when i am almost coming to a stop. The slip yoke seems tight(play and slop wise) Its greased.
I am assuming the clunk has to be the slip yoke or something in the transfer case.
But i dont think it would vibrate the steering wheel.??

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been fixing and fixing. The vibrations were bad. I replaced one injector that came up bad(passing buzz and cct tests now), replaced the tc, replaced u joints twice. The advance auto ones, were loose fitting into the shaft. The local drive shaft shoip balanced it twice and installed their u jounts. I sold my dana 80 thinking the ring and pinion were loose causing vibes(replaced with 08 10.5 rear. Its gotten much much better. I have extreme AT tires, so I can feel those. When I take my foot off the throttle at 40 mph, I can somewhat feel the tires. But I lose the last of the driveline vibe when i take my foot off the gas. The last of the vibrations I am speaking of are in the steering wheel. I have balanced the tires twice, and rotated. The tires would not stop making the vibe due to me taking my foot off the gas. They would keep it the same as long as speed stayed constant. I replaced the front end leaf bushings with poly. Sway bar bushings etc. I do get a clunk still when going into reverse or drive, and also often when i am almost coming to a stop. The slip yoke seems tight(play and slop wise) Its greased.
I am assuming the clunk has to be the slip yoke or something in the transfer case.
But i dont think it would vibrate the steering wheel.??

My injectors were tested less than a month ago so I think I'm good there. I pretty convinced its in the drive train somewhere. To check the drive shaft, does the truck need to be in neutral? and tires off the ground?

I got a "clunk" in reverse, then I figured out my ebrake was on. My ebrake light does not work nor does it give any resistance to my truck. So maybe your clunk is brake related:dunno do you roll a few feet before you hear it?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is in gear and the tires are on the ground the driveshaft is tight.(loaded) I had new u joints that seemed tight til i really looked and took the shaft out. The new ones went in(i thought tight) but still had play.
Mine does not need to go a few feet to clunk. Go from reverse to drive etc.

Last edited:

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case I am wondering if this clunk(meaning something is loose somewhere) can also be my last vibration? I think a drive line clunk(looseness) would not shake the steering wheel?

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To check the drive shaft, does the truck need to be in neutral? and tires off the ground?

Not off the ground, but chock the tires and check it in "N", you should have zero play in the joints, also check the slip yoke (if equipped), if you have one and your joints feel good, pull it apart and clean the old grease out and re-grease the slip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58