Installed a Mag-Hytech Dif. cover

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last nite. Purdy strait forward R&R. Off with the Old, On with the New.

I'm impressed with the Quality of this thing. Threaded port for a temp gauge thermo, Threaded drain plug, on the bottom and a Dip Stick. Powder coated, cooling fins, larger capacity (8 qts). All fittings and fasteners have a Torque spec.Good Stuff.:sweet

Hardest part was getting the OEM cover off. Let it drain for 30+ minutes, soped up the remaining lube with some throw-away spounges. Used a gasket scraper to do the basic clean-up, then a Scotch-Brite pad to detail the surface.

Installed the Mag-Hytec, Topped it with 8 qts of Red Line, 75-140 Synthetec Lube. No Runs, No Leaks, No Errors.:sweet

'Bout 350 bucks for the whole deal... But with 103K on the clock... I'm think'n 'bout things that will get more Life outa "ol Whitey". :thumbs

JOE

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
cool
how did the inerds look?
I was looking at putting one one, till I priced em, :eek: , mine has a big honkin alum finned cover from the factory, I was thinking about putting in a temp gage...
did you install a temp gauge ?????
you know you can never have enough montiring systems :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
cool
how did the inerds look?
I was looking at putting one one, till I priced em, :eek: , mine has a big honkin alum finned cover from the factory, I was thinking about putting in a temp gage...
did you install a temp gauge ?????
you know you can never have enough montiring systems :D

Inerds looked real good. Nice'n clean, no gear dust in the sump... but I'v serviced it twice in the 103K.

I hear ya on the price :eek:

Guna put the gauge in tonite. Can't have "to many" gauges. Wife sez: Yer truck Dash looks like sum kina jet cock-pit !!!!

I just Grin. :D :D ;)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just Grin.:D :D
Love it. Love it. what else can you say. A friend got into my old 1984 one time, then told his brother it was like getting into the cockpit of a 747. Now I got to get to work on the 06 and put some gages in it.:sweet :sweet Just the $350.00 is holding me up.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, this thing is a "High End" after market part. Quality stuff.

Got the Temp guage hooked up tonite, works great. Wired it to a SP/DT micro switch I mounted to the upper left of the guage, on the pillar mount pod... flip the switch, up: Trans Temp. Flip it down: Dif temp:sweet

Now I'm guna figer out how to wire my Engine Temp guage to it also. If my idea works.. I can have 3 temps... from 1 Guage. I'm think'n another SP/DT micro.... If it works I'll Post it.

I "Rike" Guages'n Switches..;) :roflmao

JOE

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice going, Joe. Three different temps on one gauge will be the first I've seen/heard of it. Cool idea. :)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
joe
I like that idea of switching temps, real nice, almost 747 ish,:thumbs

you got the wheels rolling here, thinking this is a good and easy mod to do,
thanks for the idea :sweet :hail
I know it would get points with wife :D , neat mod, little $$ expenditure, one temp sensor , some wire and a switch. bet I can get it all for under 20

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Maybe I havent had enough coffee yet, but the numbers Im looking at are different. They dont even retail for that. If this is the part number....and I think it is....it only retails for $240 MAG12-10.25&.5
Maybe I need to get our Mag-Hytech page put together tonight.

I am also thinking of putting this and the trans pan on my 05. More lube is always better lol.

Sorry...I was wrong lol you have the Dana 80 MAGDANA#80 $235 full retail

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DiscountPowerParts said:
Maybe I havent had enough coffee yet, but the numbers Im looking at are different. They dont even retail for that. If this is the part number....and I think it is....it only retails for $240 MAG12-10.25&.5
Maybe I need to get our Mag-Hytech page put together tonight.

I am also thinking of putting this and the trans pan on my 05. More lube is always better lol.

Sorry...I was wrong lol you have the Dana 80 MAGDANA#80 $235 full retail

;) :D I don't like to quote break down prices here but:

One Mag-tec for a Dana 80, and 8 quarts of Red Line 75-140 lube came to a little over $300.00, Plus Tax'n some shipping..... Knocked the Snot outa $350.00.... WELL worth it IMO.

Heres how it works at the Casa de Joe...

Theres an Eatery next the the local FORD lot.... Take the >>WIFE<< out fer dinner. >Wife< & I walked over'n look at a NEW Dually.... 60+K.

Go home, git out my Parts'n Labor books..... 'bout Grand+'r better fer anything to do with a rear-end.

Go to Mag-Tec.com... Say >>HEY<< >>HON<< ?... heres a High Performance, Aluminum, Differential Protection Plate (use big words) that will make OUR (use OUR) trucks Rear-End last us WELL into Retirement..... and it's ONLY (use ONLY) 200 Bucks (under quote it) !!! 'Course I'll have to replace the Gear Lubrication Compounds (BIG words agin) (Don't quote the cost)

She sez: WELL.... If we're guna retire, WE (cuz I used OUR) better do what WE can to make OUR trucks, Whatever you called it, last longer.. cuz WE can't afford a New truck, thats fer sure. Sounds like you better git one. ( I'm IN!)You have'nt rebuilt one those, Whatever that was things, in a long time either.

Ordered it on Friday... Got it on Monday... Installed it on Tuesday.

Life Is Good.:D :D

JOE

When you have a task to accomplish ? Your level of success will be dependent, solely, on your planning and execusion.

BIG JOE 2006

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58