Installed Sonnex got question

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the sonnex lastnight, was'nt hard at all except had to pop out the small clips with a tiny pair of hemostats,

My question is how much should i beable to feel the gears now, they do feel better I can actually feel them now,but not like i expected, still very smooth,but a slight kick. With no real kick at WOT, Is that normal, or should i expect more.

There was hardly if anything on the magnet if at all, just a little black on it, and the fluid looked really good, :thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Id say youre right in the ball park, I dont have the sonnax kit but I do have a shift kit and what you describe sounds like the way mine shifts. Definetly not a neck snapping shift.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a kit to put heavyer springs in it to get a little more, I could probly find some at the hardware store, but it would be trial and error, and I dont really want to keep poping the valve body off to experiment, so time wise it woulds be easier and cheaper to just do the springs...

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
RickGmi said:
Does anyone know if there is a kit to put heavyer springs in it to get a little more, I could probly find some at the hardware store, but it would be trial and error, and I dont really want to keep poping the valve body off to experiment, so time wise it woulds be easier and cheaper to just do the springs...

I have read one time on another site, that there are 2 version (it included the part numbers). I am not sure if it was for our tranny or not, I am trying to find it. But when I ordered mine they said only 1 kit for my tranny, I wanted the firmer one also. If I find it I will post. PM me.

Brett

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
RickGmi said:
Thanks dzl, Ill be looking also.

See if this helps. I guess I need to understand this more. This link is for a valve I assume that is the accumulator??? I thought I seen something on the spring rates,also. I will keep looking, I am not sure if this is changable without changing the valve bodyLet me know your results if you do change, I would be interested in a little heavier shift.
[URL="http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=73upgrades1&Number=2481193&Forum=,,,,,f50,,,,,&Words=sonnax&Searchpage=5&Limit=25&Main=2479506&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodyprev=#Post2481193"http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=73upgrades1&Number=2481193&Forum=,,,,,f50,,,,,&Words=sonnax&Searchpage=5&Limit=25&Main=2479506&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodyprev=#Post2481193]click here[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dzl. I do think your right, I have read some where that you can custom tune the shift pressures, it may cause you to change your shift speed by increasing the time it takes to shift to the next gear, (more wind up-later shift and to a point could be harder on tranny on the extreme side)
I was thinking about measuring the difference in spring pressure, Say factory spring then again measured with factory and sonnex together, might beable to say take the difference and find springs that say give 20% more pressure and try them to see if it changes to were I would like to be as far as my shifts go on the pants.
(I will be looking for a way to measure pressure.)
Maybe someone on here has the ability and the time to experiment in this way, I would be willing to try it in my tranny to see how it works with springs that are 20-30% stronger, If I dont like it im only out a few bucks for fluid and a little time.

Strokin_it7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you can go even so far as to change the spring rates for each shift so, each shift has a different firmness. Sonnax Corporation (i believe thats the name) makes different sprung springs for all of their kits i believe. i wish i would have had access to all of my tools i have at Diesel Tech class, there is a valve spring tester that can measure them. too bad they are in my truck already. :sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14