Installed the WW yesterday

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally conquered my fear.... taking the turbo off. I've had the WW sitting in the console for a year now. Started at 12 yesterday and didn't get done untill 6:30. I started the process trying to get the turbo off to do it the "right way". But I found it fery difficult to get the up-pipe clamp loosened. I guess it got so hot it had welded itself on. So then I got the housing off to try using the impact (reluctantly). I am one of the guys on here that can say been there, done that, DONT DO IT. I figured out that when the turbo wheel is losened, it allows side to side play in the shaft an it can/will cause the exhaust side turbine to hit the housing. The WW threads on tighter than the factory wheel. I was also able to get the waste gate off without taking the C clip (or E clip) off. Instead I took the 2 nuts off the waste gate, where it mounts to the housing. After some wrestling and tugging I won the battle. Deffinatley not being as gentle as i should have but I was desperate after laying on top of the engine for 4hrs. Having a 3.5" body lift and a ranch hand bumper to sand on helped a lot. At one point, I had my head pushed all the way to the back to where I could see the up-piped mounted to the turbo. After I tried using the impact, and decided that was a bad idea, I remembered my dad have given me a can of Kroil (pronounced "Crawl"). I sprayed that on the up-pipe clamp, minute later I wiggled the the turbo and the clamp broke lose...out comes the turbo. For reinstallment and in case I ever do anything like theis again, I sloted the holes on the housing where the waste gate mounts....MUCH EASIER;tu. After I got everything hooked back up I took it for a test drive. It kinda freaked me out when I heard how much louder it is. I also noticed that th top boost level has dropped to 20psi max. But the performance seems to be much smoother and I dont really notice any power loss. Wife told me it looked like I got in a fight with a chicken and it won. Thanks for the input from Joe and DP a while back. Here's some pics>>>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58