Question Installing Air Lift Airbags on 2008 F250

pizzaguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone installed Air Lift bags (part # 57212) on a 2008 F250 Crew 4x4? I just received them today and looked at the install procedure. First of all the manual says you need minimum of 6 1/2" to 8" between upper and lower brackets.After setting lower bracket and clamping upper bracket in place using their template for ref. hole, I see I only had 5 1/2- 5 3/4". Called Air Lift tech support line and they said anything over 5" is OK.Next I looked at the new mounts for the stock jounce bumpers,lowering them 2 1/2''. That only gives 1 1/4'' of suspension travel before jounce bumpers hit bottom and won't even get contact overloads to touch the perches. Can someone who has these let me know if all this is ok before I actually do the install or should I look at the Firestone bags and send these back. They are the correct kit listed for this truck but don't look like it. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

rcork

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did this kit

Pizzaguy,
I did this kit on my truck.

Pizzaguy said "Anyone installed Air Lift bags (part # 57212) on a 2008 F250 Crew 4x4? I just received them today and looked at the install procedure. First of all the manual says you need minimum of 6 1/2" to 8" between upper and lower brackets.After setting lower bracket and clamping upper bracket in place using their template for ref. hole, I see I only had 5 1/2- 5 3/4".

I had a similar dimension at first, but I cut the ends off of the u-bolts so the lower mount could sit on the spring without the supplied spacers. Doing that gave me almost 8 inches and seemed better.

Pizzaguy said "Next I looked at the new mounts for the stock jounce bumpers,lowering them 2 1/2''. That only gives 1 1/4'' of suspension travel before jounce bumpers hit bottom and won't even get contact overloads to touch the perches."

I left the spacers for the jounce bumpers off since I had almost 8 inches on the airsprings. I think this truck should similar travel even with the airsprings and I'll risk bottoming out the springs rather than have a worse ride.

Let me know if you want pictures or something,
Robert

pizzaguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
rcork, thanks for the reply. Do you have the contact overloads on your truck? My lower air bag mounts sit right down on top of the overload spring without cutting off the top of the U-bolts. I have the 5 main leaf springs, then about a 1" spacer, and on top of the spacer is the contact overload spring.What would be the best way to install these?Remove the overload? I think the 5 1/2 " height will be OK according to Air Lift tech support but I may not use the spacers for the jounce bumpers.Any more help is appreciated as I won't install these for a week or two yet. Thanks!

rcork

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pizzaguy, I don't have those overload springs. On my truck I have 5 leaves and a spring plate. I guess that is why I had to cut the extra u-bolt length off.
I guess you could do as you said and just bolt on top of that spacer and the overload spring if airlift thinks 5.5 inches is enough. I will admit that taking off that overoad spring would not be much fun. Plus, you could make some other spacer to set the jounce bumper closer than stock but not too close. like maybe a 1 inch block or something like that. Just thinking out loud here.
Robert

pizzaguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply rcork. I was also thinking of making new spacer for jounce bumper. I guess I will figure it out once bags are on. Air Lift said bags can be compressed to 3 to 3 1/2 in. As long as I make new spacer under jounce bumpers to keep bags over that 3 1/2" I shoud be OK.Anybody else ran into this problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14