installing an air intake?

RedDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.0 f250 and i want to get a volant cold air intake or a k&n. And i was wondering if any of yall have installed these your self and is it easy? And also i want to get a mbrp cat delete pipe. This just bolts on right? How much power would it gain?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Alot on here would say to stick with the stock filter system. It is a very good system indeed.

But if you choose to go aftermarket, make sure you get something that filters out as much of the nasty stuff as possible.

Alot would also say not to go with the K&N filter for the 6.0. It lets way too much stuff thru and it could possibly do damage to the turbo.

I am not an expert of any of these, just passing along the same info that I have seen others post about.

I decided to go with the Banks ram-air filter intake system. It has an 8 media filter, which is cleanable and re-usable. It also has a cover over the filter to keep the HOT engine heat out. You want COOL air coming in.

Others have also gone with the AFE stage II system. It and the Banks are about the same money.

My advise would be to do alot of research on all available systems and make your decision based on all the info you can find.

Happy Hunting.

Pic before install
IM001931.jpg

Pic after install
100_0428-1.jpg

Last edited:

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Outlaw Power and couldn't be happier with it. It took about 30 minutes to install and I seem to feel the difference, but who knows :dunno

Definitely take Stephen's advice and do the research before you buy. I was just tired of changing the stock filter since it's a total PITA.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the airaid kit infact it was my very first mod. I have been very happy with it easy to maintain and it did make it seem easyer to spool the turbo.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay with the OEM filter system which is good to 500 HP, and has better filtration to include no turbo warranty issues with picky dealerships.

The Cat delete pipe will not gain any HP, but will help lower EGT's when used with a larger downpipe. Yes the MBRP cat delete pipe will bolt into the OEM tubing.

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Airaid is what I use. Easy install, no dealer squawks.
Although they did ask me to remove the Banks programmer if they were to work on the vehicle.

ifd

ifd
Reaction score
air intake

I put a K&N in. so far so good. not a lot of dusty conditions in upstate ny. and i keep it clean. Easy to do but after reading im gonna keep an eye on the turbo side

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW,

Way back when, I asked my service advisor about putting exhaust on my truck. He told me that an exhaust was fine, just put the cat back on, (oops, forgot that :innocent ), but, then he said, "Do not put a K&N filter on." I did not even ask about a filter. Guess they have caused problems in the past.

Just my insight.

Barrett

ifd

ifd
Reaction score
Thank you to those who replied to my thread. i listened and put my factory air back on with a new filter. Anybody want a k&n Cheap

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The stock air filter system is a good one. It will handle something like 500 hp, is I have been told. Keep it.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58