Installing Gauges Where To Put....

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, with my new goods soon to be here as far as gauges, i have a few Q's....

1) i want to install my EGT after the turbo (like it is on my Suburban) is this the standard choice on this truck? if so, where exactly to mount the sensor?

2) where to install the Boost nipple for the line lead to the gauge?

3) whats best location for the oil temp sending unit?

4) whats best location for the oil pressure sending unit?

5) whats the best place for the water temp sending unit? i think i should just use the default location, but not sure, you all tell me!

i think i got the default hook up's for the volt meter.

thanks guys!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You want your EGT probe to go BEFORE the turbo and not after it. I drilled my exhaust manifold from the bottom and put the probe facing up (on the driver's side). It is easy. I took my boost from the elbow that comes off of the Inter cooler, but there are better places. Sorry I can't show pictures. My signature has a few.

Dave

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
1) Put it pre-turbo.

gauges04.jpg

2) Boost gets tee'd into the MAP line (hose to the right of the AC compressor).

5) There is an unused port on the right of the thermostat housing. I used it to feed my coolant bypass filter and tee'd into that hose.

Last edited:

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some good info here!

so why PRE turbo? why not POST turbo? in my 6.5TD (i know its not a PSD!) i have the EGT sensor right after the turbo, where it is the hottest with both side exhaust meeting as one.

with this PRE turbo will the sensor read correct or more accurate than POST?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Think about it. Pre-turbo is the hottest exhaust. It is just after it leaves the engine and before it goes into the turbo. This is the temp you want to read. It will show if you are about to burn your pistons or you are OK. The hottest exhaust is in the exhaust manifold.

Dave

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clicked the link in PSDfreak's above post for instructions and on that site (ds.com) they suggest to put the boost "T" in the MAP sensor line unless you have a "map mod". I want to put my boost T in the Map line before (motor side) of the map mod/regulator.
Does anyone see any problems with this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14