Installing WW w/out removing turbo or exhaust housing

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had the WW sitting in a box in my console for about a year now....dreading doing the install. I was wanting to know if anyone has tried installing one without removing the turbo or the exhaust housing. I think I remember seeing Bill at powerstrokehelp.com doing it by getting the compressor side held with some kind of hand tool and loosening/tightening it that way. I got thurs-sun off from work and figured I would have some time to kill.

I've seen instructions where you wrap a scresdriver in tape and stick it in the exhaust side. Dont see why it couldn't be done on the compressor side:dunno

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correction...IIRC he used an impact and hit the nut a couple of times with it to loosen it. Nothing used to keep the wheel from spinning.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correction...IIRC he used an impact and hit the nut a couple of times with it to loosen it. Nothing used to keep the wheel from spinning.

Putting an Impact Torque (shock) Load.. on the turbo shaft and it's bushing.. is something I just didn't, and don't, want to do.

Loosening the down-pipe, moving it aside, ain't that big a deal.

To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting an Impact Torque Load.. on the turbo shaft and it's bushing.. is something I wouldn't want to do.

Loosening the down-pipe, moving it aside, ain't that big a deal. (as compared ?)

Kinda of understand what you are saying, but a load does have to be put on it to break the nut loose. Guess what you are meaning is how fast it puts the load on the shaft?? I'm goin to have to take ur side on this one...again:tounge. Turbo was replaced new from Ford for $1450 about 18 months ago and that aint-no fun.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess what you are meaning is how fast it puts the load on the shaft??

Yep, that's what I'm saying ;tu

A 5/8's wrench will loosen the nut, with just a little tug, with just a little something to hold the shaft in place, from the other end.

Check out the DIY/WIKI a couple more times.. before you start ??

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take the exhaust side apart. Just hit the thing with the impact a few times it will come right off. There not very tight.
Did mine 15k miles ago and its still in there and working great. Just did a 4000 mile round trip to AZ and back.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Did my 01 with a 3/8th impact. got it turning one way then reversed it and it came right off. Never thought about the BAD that could happen. That was 100k ago and still going.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I saw bills vid too awhile back. Looked simple enough. How well do those WW's work? Worth the money buying?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boils down to... 3 different install methods of reducing the 99.5+, 7.3 turbo surge that occurs @ 15 to 1800 rpm.

Well worth the time & money, IMO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58