Instrument Cluster

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I've been having shifting problems with my truck for a few months. Got a new tranny and still the same problem.I took it to the dealer for diagnstic and it need CPS and EGP sensor. Got that fixed for $950. got it back and it seemed to be runnin good til last night. Took it back to the dealer today and the tested the instrument cluster and said I need a new one. There is a few wires for the speed sensor shorted-out and they said it would be cheaper and fix the problem, Garunteed!:rolleyes: Anyone else's opinion would be great!!:thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Rich (94F450sd) has a link to an article about the instrument cluster...... hope he chimes in here. If not, drop him a PM.

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know when I went through "tranny" problems that weren't tranny problems we (the tranny guy and I) started on the VSS module on the rear axle housing. Pull it and clean it. If it's covered in filings then you may want to change out the rear gear lub. My tranny would bang 2nd real hard then shift through the gears in about 10 feet. The next module he checked was the RAB or anti lock unit. That will also give the tranny fits and make it shift crazy. The last thing we checked and then replaced was the speedo unit. You can get them a lot cheaper than the dealer and set up with your current mileage. So my experience was, we changed out the VSS ($35) and that seemed to work for awhile, checked but did not replace the RABS and then replaced the speedo unit (around $250 if I remember correctly) and that fixed the issues. Also make sure the wiring from the back is solid to the cab.

Good luck I know how much of a bugaboo it is...

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
we already replaced the VSS and that didn't do a thing. All the wiring was checked, and triple checked. it's all good. Guess I'll find out. Thanks guys.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Rich (94F450sd) has a link to an article about the instrument cluster...... hope he chimes in here. If not, drop him a PM.

i do?if i did i may not have it especially if i had it before my hard drive crashed.

what do you need to know?dont let ford replace you instrument cluster.get a used one and try it

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
check all your bulbs on the back of the truck includeing the third brake light.make sure all your turn signals and brake lights are working.there are a few things that can cause shifting problems.bulbs being one of them.you also have a switch on the master cylinder that fails and actually can cause the truck to burn.put a jumper wire in the plug and and see what happens.the multi function switch on the column(signal switch) can cause a problem as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58