Intake Box

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
OK quick question. On my early 99 sd psd. I homemade rigged up like a tymar open air intake. I was thinking about cutting part of the stock air box out of the way or removing it all together. My question is what is the sensor that is in the side closest to the firewall. Also could this be removed or relocated. Thanks Also I am new to this sight. I love my PS, which I just got a couple of months ago. :thumbs

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
OK quick question. On my early 99 sd psd. I homemade rigged up like a tymar open air intake. I was thinking about cutting part of the stock air box out of the way or removing it all together. My question is what is the sensor that is in the side closest to the firewall. Also could this be removed or relocated. Thanks Also I am new to this sight. I love my PS, which I just got a couple of months ago. :thumbs

First of all, WELCOME to SDD. A great site !!

The sensor is a Temprature sensor. I tells your PCM about ambient air temps. Some, who do what you are doing, simply move it out of the way and tie it off with a zip tie.

The sensor has to do with cold temprature warm up features like high idle, EBPV operation and so on. It >needs to be operational<.... just not nessassarily in the Air Box.

JOE

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Got Diesel: Welcome to the Site. This is a great bunch of people who will help you in any way . Just let them know what you need. We all try harder.
Doug

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Hey thanks alot fellas'. I have been reading the forum for sometime now, and you are right there is alot of help out there and it is a really good forum. Thanks about the sensor, so I can just go a head and tie that out of the way then no harm done correct? Also another quickie, anyone else know where you can find a 4 inch downpipe for that truck for cheap, or how to make one for that matter? Thanks

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
Hey thanks alot fellas'. I have been reading the forum for sometime now, and you are right there is alot of help out there and it is a really good forum. Thanks about the sensor, so I can just go a head and tie that out of the way then no harm done correct? Also another quickie, anyone else know where you can find a 4 inch downpipe for that truck for cheap, or how to make one for that matter? Thanks

can you say "flex pipe" :roflmao ?

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Can you use a section of flex pipe? How much does that cost a foot? And does anyone, know how difficult this would be to achieve?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
Can you use a section of flex pipe? How much does that cost a foot? And does anyone, know how difficult this would be to achieve?

I don't think you want to do that, the exhaust is very hot in that area and would not last long. Also, it would need the flange on the end and that would be hard to do. Unfortunetely the downpipes are about 1/3 the cost of a system so you might as well buy a system in my opinion.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
We have 3.5" and 4" down pipes available. Give me a call for a quote.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg