intake?

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
evning fellas! ok gota question. im lookin for an intake for my truck. got any good brands that you dont have to hack any thing up?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still stand behind the stock filter for the 6-oh !!!
at least while it is under warranty and ya don't want ford to deny any issues....

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got the 7.3 w/ k&n filter. but want to upgrade the intake.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the standard upgrade is the tymar type intake, you can pick one up from tymar performance or you can make your own with a clamp piece of exhaust tubing and the air filter or at least I know you can for the 94-97 trucks. The nice thing about the kit from tymar is that it comes with a bracket that keeps the filter in place. and it only costs a couple bucks more than what the pieces cost which will easily be spent driving around town collecting pieces.

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
HERE is how I did mine. This is whats known as a "home made tymar" or 6637 filter mod. You can get the filters from fleetfilter.com cheaper than what NAPA sell's them. I used a short piece of 4inch exhaust but some people manage to get the filter to clamp to the stock intake tube. The filter then lays in the factory battery tray real snug. Cheap and effective

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
stroke_smoke,

Take a look at the AFE Pro Guard 7 Stage II system, not cheap but flows more air than anything we have ever seen here at DPPI. Plus the PG7 filter stops the dirt the 4 layer gauze filters let thru! Here is some test dat on filters etc:

SPICER Posted: 16 July 2004 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | Report Post

Diesel Addict

Group: Diesel Addict
Posts: 302 The following is the complete test results. In order of rank from BEST performance to WORST in the categories of FILTERING EFFICIENCY, FLOW RESTRICTION, DIRT HOLDING CAPACITY and TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING TEST.
SPICER wrote:
In the order of filtering efficiency the results are:
FILTER % Efficiency
AC Delco OE 99.93%
Baldwin 99.72%
No name filter (made for gas engine, 1/3 less pleats) 99.32%
AFE ProGuard 7 (73-10062), panel filter 99.23%
WIX/Napa 99.03%
Purolator 98.73%
Amsoil, new style 98.63%
UNI 97.93%
K&N 96.80%

FLOW RESTRICTION FROM BEST TO WORST:
FILTER RESTRICTION in Inches H2O
K&N 4.54
Mystery bargain filter 4.78
AFE Pro Guard 7 Panel 4.99
Purolator 5.05
WIX/Napa 5.06
UNI 5.40
Baldwin 5.71
Amsoil 5.88
AC Delco 6.23
DIRT HOLDING CAPACITY From best to worst. This is the AMOUNT OF DIRT it took to create an ADDITIONAL 10 inches of water restriction. At that point the test is terminated.This indicates HOW LONG a filter is good before it must be cleaned or replaced.
AC Delco 573.898 grams
WIX/Napa 447.366
Purolator 388.659
Baldwin 388.154
UNI 374.638
Mystery bargain 350.402
AFE Pro Guard 7 232.516
K&N 211.58
Amsoil 196.323

Give us a call if you have any questions we keep all the PG7 systems in stock.

Mark @ DPPI

Car_nut57

Reaction score

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigdaddyTank said:
HERE is how I did mine. This is whats known as a "home made tymar" or 6637 filter mod. You can get the filters from fleetfilter.com cheaper than what NAPA sell's them. I used a short piece of 4inch exhaust but some people manage to get the filter to clamp to the stock intake tube. The filter then lays in the factory battery tray real snug. Cheap and effective[/QUOT

so what your sayn" is the stock intake is good. but the problem is the filter box? i think i'll give your change a shot. hey its cheap :thumbs and i like that!

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I run the 6637 filter also. Yes a big problem is our stock airbox, I think some people have even collapsed stock paper filters and dusted their engines a little. I used a piece left over from my 4" exhaust and got the filter at Napa(not anymore.)

I formerly used a 5-layer cotton gauze cone filter that I was cleaning every oil change. Dusty conditions where I drive my truck pushed me to going to the Napa 6637 filter. I only got about 15k miles on my first one :( on the second one now. Thought about an AIS but I'm not sure on filter intervals in my condtions. That could get expensive. Oh and I don't want to loose the whine I get from the compressor side of the turbo with my current setup, the AIS has been reported to quiet down the "noises" from the turbo. :dunno

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The Ford AIS is an extreme filter which is popular in the dusty areas of the US such as the desert Southwest :sweet

I don't own one yet but I really like the AFE stage II as it will continue to pull all the fresh air from the cool air opening. :sweet

Engines prefer cool air over hot engine air anytime especially when it comes to EGT's :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg