intake

fastaschit18

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im looking for the best all around intake upgrade does any one have a favorite? also this is my first powerstroke the last cummins i had i changed injectors cam and turbo for some serious hp does any one know waht you can do to the powerstrokes besides a programer?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. First we need to know what model truck you have, and what motor it has. Go to> UserCP> Edit Signiture> and list it there. Bryan

As far as intake, we also need to know how much power you are wanting to make. There are several different options out there.

fastaschit18

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
its a 2001 7.3 f 350 i have 4 inch exhaust truck has 230000 on it i pull a 45' gooseneck race car tralier want the same kind of low end power i had with my cummins

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've tried a K&N filter in the factory air box, a Tymar and now a A.I.S. with the foam air intake sleeve.

I liked the Tymar for the performance and sound. But I found that because it inhales heated, underhood air, the EGT's ran a bit higher and the cooling fan cycled more frequently.

After switching to the A.I.S. w/Zoodad mod, the EGT's were lower and possibly the boost levels at cruising speeds were slightly lower, but I can't say I'm 100% sure about the lower boost. The cooling fan didn't cycle as often also. The restriction indicator would move slightly only under full throttle, so I added the foam intake sleeve. The restriction indicator hasn't budged a bit since.

In summary, I thought the Tymar was ok for non-towing situations. But since the huge majority of my driving was with a trailer in the rearview mirror, the A.I.S. /foam intake sleeve combo was the best way to go.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
For low the best low end torque out of a PSD you need a BIG High Pressure Oil Pump. Stealth, Terminator and BTS are pumps available. You may have powdered metal rods and a 400hp limit. Depending on what you want you can easily need injectors and turbo just like you did to your CTD! Rod swap then!

For intake, high HP guys like the AFE Stage 2. I don't like the cotton gauze filters and run a homemade paper element filter. The AIS would be my upgrade but I live in a dusty climate.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yup,

Rooster hit it on the head pretty good there, injectors will get you alot. Remember you wont get the same torque curve out of a V-8 that you had on the I-6. The torque comes on later in the powerband for the PSD. But the powerband is wider on the V-8. They are two different critters, both have very strong points and some not so strong points.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
your2slow said:
I thought the AIS was designed for extremely dusty climates (mining industry). :dunno

That's why I would upgrade to the AIS and not the AFE, if I was in a market for an intake. But I'm happy with my "tymar" type set up.:sweet

fastaschit18

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok lets see after 400hp the rods need to be replaced?
so that means after you replace injectors get ready to pull her apart?

sounds like a cummins swap would be easier
also im getting a code p0476
i do a koer test and i dont get any movement of waste gate on turbo truck is really really slugish on bottom, is that the v8 or something elese?

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the homemade tymar on mine. Very easy to do, cost about $35 total, and sounds pretty cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14