Intercooler or Water/Methanol injection?

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '97 is still gettin high egt's running the grade with my trailer. Which solution is better? Who makes an intercooler for my truck? I'm leaning toward water injection...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Intercooler is safer, cost wise its a toss but the intercooler may still have the edge and you can use an intercooler from any SD, including the 6.0L.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am with 95_stroker on this, go with the intercooler. It is much less trouble in the long run than any form of injection,

Dave

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For lowering EGTs, git the intercooler. Its alot safer and you dont have to stop and fill up the resevour (sp?).

I know banks makes a pretty nice kit that will jsut bolt right on, it includes the pipes, intake spyder, boots, clamps and the intercooler. It is not cheep (neither is water/meth), but if you dont have time to pice stuff together, it is probably the way to go.

Best of luck,
-Matt

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about nitrous oxide. I read an article in DP mag that said it atually lowered EGT's. Not only that but adds a good amount of power.

I know I know :) I'm just kidding I know it will do nothing compared to the two mentioned but hey it was worth a shot :)

I would agree the Intercooler would be the way to go. Anything that needs to be filled up and is more complicated is never the way to go when you are in it for the "long haul" litterally.

But if you are really really hot and you plan on doing heavier....why not do both :thumbs

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Teach your truck and kids the same way guys............. say no to drugs. Drugs will (not might,WILL) break stuff. Most (99%) of us guys just fooling with small horsepower cant put drugs to use, the guys burning drugs are the dudes pushing +500 hp. Again, in the PSD circle, that isnt many of us.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning hard toward injection, but blowin my purty truck up scares me!

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i think what 95 stroker is saying is the nitrous. I think the water/meth mainly acts as a cooler and does as power by allowing you to add more fuel becuase of being able to keep the EGT's down and by getting some power from the expansion of the water.

But maybe that is what he is meaning.

But good analogy with the drugs I like that one.

Depending on what you have done to your truck I think the Intercooler would be more than enough though.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who sells intercoollers besides Banks? I want to go least expensive and they are for guys that want someone else to do all the work, I'm too poor!

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think the cheapest intercooler is from e-bay from the 6.0L Ford.

A lot of guys talk about the gtxmotorsports kit they have but that is around 1K for the kit and then around 100 for the intercooler.

My buddy fabbed up his own intercooler and you can do the same. Just make sure you get some of the same clamps and rubber tubing and you could probably do it for a few hundred. just takes more work and scrounging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg