Interesting observation

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
For the last week or so, our ambient temperatures have been slowly climbing into the low 90's...and so has my tranny temp gauge.

Yesterday, I noticed my transmission gauge flashing at me. It climbed past the set warning point I have of 180F. I pulled over, popped thehood, and checked the transmission fluid. All good. Fluid was replaced about 20K miles ago, still looks fresh. No burnt smeel to it, nothing.

I couldn't figure out why the temp was climbing past 180 (Highest memorized reading was 195F).

Yesterday, I climbed under the truck, and noticed about 1/4 of an inch worth of mud thickness on the transmission pan. Weird... Shouldn't make that much of a temperature difference, right? Wrong. I knocked all that mud off the pan, and now at 89F ambient, going down the highway, my tranny temperature gauge does not go past 165F .

Moral of the story? To those of you like me, who use our trucks for what trucks are meant to be used, instead of just using them as curb climbers and status quo symbols? Make sure your tranny pan is free of mud. Even the stock pan seems to help quite a bit with temperature control.

Last edited:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last week or so, our ambient temperatures have been slowly climbing into the low 90's...and so has my tranny temp gauge.

Yesterday, I noticed my transmission gauge flashing at me. It climbed past the set warning point I have of 180F. I pulled over, popped thehood, and checked the transmission fluid. All good. Fluid was replaced about 20K miles ago, still looks fresh. No burnt smeel to it, nothing.

I couldn't figure out why the temp was blimbing past 180 (Highest memorized reading was 195F).

Yesterday, I climbed under the truck, and noticed about 1/4 of an inch worth of mud thickness on the transmission pan. Weird... Shouldn't make that much of a temperature difference, right? Wrong. I knocked all that mud off the pan, and now at 89F ambient, going down the highway, my tranny temperature gauge does not go past 165F .

Moral of the story? To those of you like me, who use our trucks for what trucks are meant to be used, instead of just using them as curb climbers and status quo symbols? Make sure your tranny pan is free of mud. Even the stock pan seems to help quite a bit with temperature control.

You kids... still playing in the mud....:D

Reaction score
Yep and dern proud of it. Best part is we dont have to worry about hubs stickin from unuse. Noticed almost the same thing couple years back. Had mud packed tranny cooler and radiator. Prolly mostly from dust though clean em and it makes a world of difference. Knocked off so much mud today that i had to wash the bottoms of my boots to get back in. Course i guess we could just park our trucks on the asphalt and walk into the jobs :roflmao

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep and dern proud of it. Best part is we dont have to worry about hubs stickin from unuse. Noticed almost the same thing couple years back. Had mud packed tranny cooler and radiator. Prolly mostly from dust though clean em and it makes a world of difference. Knocked off so much mud today that i had to wash the bottoms of my boots to get back in. Course i guess we could just park our trucks on the asphalt and walk into the jobs :roflmao

Jobs!!!!! :eek:
Oh yes,,, I do remember some people still work. :D

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah! I'm not walking 20 miles of dirt road to get to work. Fogeddaboudit. :D
Sissy:roflmao

When I was your age, I walked 20 miles in five foot of snow going uphill both ways.

And that is hard to do when where I lived we did not have any snow, and the ground was flat. :roflmao

Digital,,, that is a good tip on the overheating..

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I couldn't figure out why the temp was climbing past 180 (Highest memorized reading was 195F).

How are those diffs lookin'...make sure they aint cookin', too....

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Diffs have resh oil and they are mud free. I make it a point to pressure wash them when I wash the truck.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal, we almost lost a set of diffs on one of the tractors a work from mud on them from delivering to job sites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14