Interior Lights Not Going Off

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last couple of days, I can be driving after sunset, and my interior lights will come on by themselves. Yesterday, while sitting at a red light, I opened my door, and they went off. Did the same thing coming home today. However, just as I got home, they came on again, and they won't go off, even when I lock the door with the key fob. They also don't appear to "dim" automatically as they should. I checked the manual and I can't find a location for a fuse that might need to be replaced. There are plenty of fuses listed, but none for interior/courtesy lights. I hope this isn't an "after effect" of getting rear ended a couple of weeks ago (damaging my trailer wire connection), and getting new batteries put in last Friday.

Thanks for any help, you can also PM if you'd like.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like switch could be gummed up. Maybe spray with contact cleaner?

JRJ04

Reaction score
shoot some wd40 in the latch on the door and then open and close the door several times. like he said, it just gets gummed up and needs to be relubricated. that should fix it no problem though

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I had not thought about that. However, is there a "dedicated" switch. The older vehicles had the "door jamb" buttons. I'll try the WD40 in a few minutes and see how it works.
5:15 PM CT - Sprayed the hinges a couple of hours ago and ran a couple of errands since. The lights came on again while driving, but when I got home and locked the doors, they went off. I'm beginning to think it's probably a switch.

Last edited:

jblz51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a dedicated switch that controls the dome lights. It's part of the door latch inside the door. You may have to spray it a couple of times.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll spray it again. But tonight, I hit a bump in the highway and the lights came on. I slowed down a bit and opened and shut the door, and they went off.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have figured out why my interior lights come on by themselves while I'm driving. Yesterday when I turned the Expy back in I was telling my salesman about the accident when I got rear-ended a few weeks ago and about the lights acting strange. He said that the accident probably shorted out the wires which was causing the interior lights to act up. I take the PSD in on Monday to get the damages fixed, so the lights should be okay after that.

Jzinkiewicz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dome lights

I had the same problem w/ my dome lights not going off. The dr ajar light wouldn't go off either. Turns out it was the instrument cluster. cost $700 and had to be done by a dealer becuase of the odometer.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I have figured out why my interior lights come on by themselves while I'm driving. Yesterday when I turned the Expy back in I was telling my salesman about the accident when I got rear-ended a few weeks ago and about the lights acting strange. He said that the accident probably shorted out the wires which was causing the interior lights to act up. I take the PSD in on Monday to get the damages fixed, so the lights should be okay after that.
or sprung something in the door... tell the insurance company now, or you'll be SOL if it ends up being body damage..

petermanis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've had the same problem on and off for a couple of months. If it happens when I'm stopped in traffic, the lights will go off when I start driving and the tach gets up to apx. 1600 RPMS. Did the dealer give you any idea how they traced it to the instrument panel ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14