Intermittent IPR sticking issue???

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Every few months my truck will have an issue where I go to release the throttle, it goes quiet like it stalled, then it comes back rough, sort of chop-chop sounding, then fine again. The other morning it started doing it after a lukewarm start, but continued. Sorta choppy if I let off the throttle, but also if I held it above 1500 RPM, plus the throttle was real touchy and I got a CEL 8-10 seconds after starting.

Code was "P1211 inj ctrl pres fail steady state" (IPR valve failed, stuck, or shorted to ground). While it was still happening I tried it ICP unplugged and problem was still there about the same, so I'm assuming IPR. After about 10 minutes the problem was gone and running fine since.

All wires looked OK. No chip or ICP mod. Nut on tight

Curious if anyone else has seen an intermittent issue like this and traced it to the IPR. Maybe a stray particle jammed it? BTW I did an IPR teardown and cleaning last year, and new o-ring kit.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen intermittent issues like this traced back to corroded wires that pass under the fuel filter housing. Evidently diesel and the insulation on the wiring harness do not mix very well.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I checked the wiring as best as I could. Nothing obvious but I haven't ruled that out either.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
O-rings are new from last year. No warm start problems and the once every couple months related brief choppyness/touchy throttle, has been going on since I got the the truck 2 years ago. Think this may just stay a mystery for awhile. Be alot easier to diagnose if it had a smoke cloud rising off the bad part:D

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not really much to add, but when I was rebuilding my engine, I noticed that the wires going into the back of my IPR connector were worn bare and were touching each other.

You couldn't really notice it until you pulled the connector and harness off the back of the IPR, then pulled the black wrap off the thing.

They were worn bare, just up inside the back of the connector.

I was amazed that it even worked at all!

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
F250Jockey said:
Not really much to add, but when I was rebuilding my engine, I noticed that the wires going into the back of my IPR connector were worn bare and were touching each other.

You couldn't really notice it until you pulled the connector and harness off the back of the IPR, then pulled the black wrap off the thing.

They were worn bare, just up inside the back of the connector.

I was amazed that it even worked at all!

I had the same problem once, on the side of the road about 15 different times to seperate the harness before I got home from that trip.

It will stop it dead in its tracks if they touch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58