intermittent power loss, eating oil

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happens to be the turbo, the turbo is still the same as stock as far as seals ansd such goes. Your truck probably has the Banks Powerpack on it which changed the turbine housing to a smaller unit than stock for quicker spooling (everything else being the same). Check out "Ron's Turbo Service" for rebuild kits. Cheers!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
injector o-rings are quite often an asymptomatic problem, I know realize that mine were bad the day I bought the truck but didn't realize it until reading a few posts about injector o-rings and the link with the fuel filter.

Patrick nailed the turbo aspect in that banks just changed the exhaust turbine housing not the core of the turbo so factory parts will work.

soldierncowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok guys... i looked at the fuel filter... looks as new as the day i put it in... all of a week ago... is it possible that fuel wouldnt get back into the tank with the o rings? i need someone to help me out on this one... cuz i really dont wanna spend 800 dollars on repairs that dont need to be done... so gimme a holler...

dpantazis

Reaction score
is it possible that fuel wouldnt get back into the tank with the o rings?

your question is not clear. please restate.

all signs point to a bad injector o-ring(s).

if you want to save money, look at the injector overhaul wiki page for info in pulling and reinstalling the injectors.

as long as you are careful and clean most average mechanics can do it. and don;t try to get cute and make it better!

soldierncowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what i meant, was is it possible that oil wont get back into the tank with bad injector o rings... i looked at my fuel filter today... and there was no oil in the filter, like one of the previous responses said that there probably would be...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible that oil wont get back into the tank with bad injector o rings... i looked at my fuel filter today... and there was no oil in the filter, like one of the previous responses said that there probably would be...

MOST of the oil that leaks by the injector O ring(s) will be Burnt during detonation/combustion.. in the cylinder(s).. (the smoke you see, from a rich oil & diesel mixture).. what doesn't get burnt will eventually collect in the exhaust system.. resulting in a Oily, Wet Tailpipe tip..

It's unlikely [much] oil will get into the fuel system.. unless you continue to drive it.. with leaking injector O rings.

Joe

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree on a truck with a dead-headed fuel system, but since the OBS trucks had a return system it can go to the tanks. The best way to check is to drain the fuel from the bowl into a clear jar and check the color. As I said, mine was a black as used motor oil (could not see sun through it!). Cheers!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree on a truck with a dead-headed fuel system, but since the OBS trucks had a return system it can go to the tanks. The best way to check is to drain the fuel from the bowl into a clear jar and check the color. As I said, mine was a black as used motor oil (could not see sun through it!). Cheers!

I agree too, but was just trying to quantify the amount of oil.. that gets Burned, verses possibly Mixed, back into the fuel system* ... IAW the jist of the question ?

* (unless you continue to drive it.. with leaking injector O rings) :dunno

:):)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58