Introduction

yogachik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I just found this site yesterday as I was researching a truck I am interested in purchasing. I live in Phoenix and there's lots of places to play and take a truck.

It would be my first truck, and first diesel engine, so I have lots of questions. I'm still trying to decide if a diesel is for me, and if owning a truck is practical for me. I've never had a truck and if I'd be getting a good deal on this one considering the mileage. So anyway, I looked at one last night and fell in love with it. I'm just a little scared about the mileage, maintenance, upkeep, etc. Oh yeah, and its BIG!! , but not too big, its a short bed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start researching? Oh, and I am really interested in running biodiesel. The truck I am looking at is a 7.3L turbo diesel.

Peace,
Gina

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome...Once you own a truck youll never wanna be w/out one
(your friends wont want you to be w/out one either ;)

personally i dont think you can beat the convenience & utility of a truck,
the only thing that MIGHT be inconvenient is the CAB size that you buy...

dont buy a truck for the fuel mileage (although a diesel will get you
better mpg, than the same gasoline truck).

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Gina, You will find many new things to do with a truck after you have had one for a while. The 7.3 is a great motor. Just ask if you have any questions.

Welcome to SDD Gina.

Dave :)

yogachik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
oh, the mileage i meant is the miles on the truck, it's at 147,000 miles. it seems high for a 2000, but then again diesels are built for high miles so i'm not really sure. i know the miles/gal may not be spectacular, but i'm really interested in running biodiesel. some friends are starting a co-op so i have an in on it..

the cab size i'm looking at is a crew cab...gotta have room for my dog and my friends!!

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Bio is good to run if you can keep it flowing in this cold weather. It will clean out your fuel system of all of the junk that has accumulated in your fuel system. Be sure to CARRY a SPARE FUEL FILTER at all times so you are not stranded on the road. The junk in the fuel system will clog up your fuel filter.

DAve

yogachik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It does get darn hot here, but in the winter it can get cold, like down in the 30's. I'll just have to monitor the biodiesel usage more closely in the winter and I'll keep a spare fuel filter on hand just in case.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Welcome yogachik. Sure the size might intimidate you now, but once you drive it you'll never look back. Forget diamonds...diesels are forever. :sly BTW, chicks driving diesel pickups are hot. I get away with running B100 in Northern California in the winter so I don't foresee a problem for you in Phoenix. You can always blend it with #2 diesel to lower the gel point of the fuel. Ditto on carrying an extra fuel filter.

yogachik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
really?!

Welcome yogachik. Sure the size might intimidate you now, but once you drive it you'll never look back. Forget diamonds...diesels are forever. :sly BTW, chicks driving diesel pickups are hot. I get away with running B100 in Northern California in the winter so I don't foresee a problem for you in Phoenix. You can always blend it with #2 diesel to lower the gel point of the fuel. Ditto on carrying an extra fuel filter.

so my chances of taggin a hot truck guy will go up just by drivin one of these??!! wow!! i'm sold!! lol

on a serious note, i'm still undecided.....people are tellin me its too much truck for me, maybe it is...decisions decisions

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
welcome gina. dont be discouraged by others tellin you that you cant handle or that you dont need a truck.

go with what makes you happy. the nay sayers will shut up real fast the first time they ask if you could help them out with your "oversized, global-warmin, diesel smellin, torque monsterin', horse power makin', big ole ford truck!" :tounge :thumbs

then they will want one for themselves. :sweet :sweet

:ford :drive :ZigBang: :burnit :GRD :woot

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14