Inverter Behind Seat

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to mount an inverter behind the rear seat of a crew cab? I'm looking at getting a 1000-1500 watt unit, not sure if it's a good place to mount it or if it will be too warm back there.

Are the bargain units you see here and there a deal or do I need to stay away from those and look for a higher dollar one?

Also, how long can you run something with the motor off without worrying about battery draw down? What about charging cordless drill batteries, laptop, etc? I assume that would run for quite a while without hurting the re-starting performance.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
put mine on the drivers lower foot area wher the old ecms used to be mounted, then got a plug from an escapeeee hybrid, you can run the 120 volt rect anywhere in the cab.
see pics

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine mounted between the drivers seat & the center seat...
I have it on a switch (so i can turn it on and off w/ out fumbling around
w/ the inverter itself).

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, fellers. I do like the ECM idea, close to the battery, etc, but being 6'5" my legs need all the room I can get. But I will have a look, maybe it will work, who knows.

I was planning on putting a duplex receptacle in the dash where the cigarette lighter is now.

Last edited:

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's not going to work under the dash. My leg likes that area when driving. It's going to go behind the rear seat on the driver's side. Running some old welding cable to the battery. Making an outlet in the dash, and one in the bed, with a weatherproof box, of course.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know what style front seat you have...but you COULD
mount it under the the front/center seat...

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got buckets and a console. Nice try though. ;) It should be okay, I've got plenty of other crap behind the seat, all my other wiring terminates there. Just need to make it a little neater/efficient use of space.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to mount an inverter behind the rear seat of a crew cab? I'm looking at getting a 1000-1500 watt unit, not sure if it's a good place to mount it or if it will be too warm back there.

Also, how long can you run something with the motor off without worrying about battery draw down? What about charging cordless drill batteries, laptop, etc? I assume that would run for quite a while without hurting the re-starting performance.

We use all sizes of these in our trucks. Number 1 is to dissipate heat, I personally prefer units with a fan. Since you are going to put under the rear seat, the fan noise (esp cold weather) won't be an issue. The fan really makes a difference. I use "invertersRus" (Inverters R Us Has the Power You Need. The new 400 W B&D unit has a variable rate fan that is thermostatically controlled.

I have drained batteries in my SD in a weekend with "small" loads, they add up. Just work out the amp-hours on all connected devices and you will see (be sure to use 12V Amps, not 120V Amps, to check against your truck batteries). Also...just fyi, I have lower W unit that won't run my big laptop if the engine isn't running...then we got a 1.5KW that runs all sorts o' stuff.

Heat dissipation is the key. The only problem imho with your proposed mount point is when you need to switch it on or off, reset it, or change a fuse. Make it accessible!

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to mount it behind the rear seat, on the back wall of the cab. I have gotten rid of the carpet that was there and mounted a piece of wood there to screw the inverter to, along with other electrical connections, etc. Access is easy, just flip down the seat. I'm looking for one with a remote switch, so I can control it from the dash. I'm currently leaning towards Cobra.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14