Inverter

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to mount this inverter in my truck. I am just having a problem figuring out where I want to mount it. I have a couple thoughts: in the bed near the tailgate on the bed wall ( I have a cap on the truck ), On the transmission hump or under the back seat. any other thoughts? Also, as you can see from the pictures, this one is designed to to connect to the battery, use and put away. I want to hard wire it. I am thinking I should wire directly to the battery with 8 or 10 gauge wire, any other ideas on how to wire it? I will probably use 3M double sided tape to mount or make some straps to screw it down. It doesn't have any pre-drilled holes.
thanks for any ideas on how to mount it.
inverter.jpg

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Whats the watts on that inverter?

What are the dementions of the inverter?

Refer to my gallery for a trans.. hump install. Those are 2 guage wires on a 1100 watt inverter. Where you go through the fire wall that is a I think a 1 1/2" rubber pipe cap. I cut a x in it and shoved the wire through. It has a 250 watt ANL fuse showing there under the hood. Soldered ring terminals on all connections except obviously at the inverter. On the 2 guage wire under the hood I have protected it with 1/2" black sprinkler hose. I have a book on what guage wire for the distance you will be from the battery based on the inverter watts.

I chose the tranny hump because when you consider the line drop and wanting to get the max out of your inverter you need to stay close as possible to battery. The farther away the bigger wire you need to run and believe me 2 guage is not cheap and it is not that flexible when you talking about the tight perameters of a truck to make it look good. If you look at PowerBoater's gallery hes mounted his just under the dash above the e-brake. Theres a nice little bracket there that with a little imagination you could mount it there. Plus he has got an extra little add-on with a remote dash mounted socket.

I am pretty much going off of memory right now but if you search my posts on inverters you will see exactly everything I did to install. I think!! I am not as organized on this computer as some.

If you have any ?s let me know

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My inverter is 600 watts. I checked out your thread and your gallery. pretty much answered all my questions. the distance away from the battery was my main concern. I think I will put it on the transmission hump as well 2 questions though,
How did you secure it to the floor?
what size fuse did you use?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh thank you, I haven't heard that since high school electronics class. I don't do a whole lot of custom wiring, If you couldn't tell, although I did rewire an entire 16 foot boot once and that worked out great.
Just bookmarked the website though so I will be good for now on.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW :dunno, I used #1 gauge Welding Lead wire (very fine strands, very flexible for it's Dia., 600v capable) with the appropriate Lugs swedge crimped onto my premeasured lengths.. Made up by my local Welding Supply place.

My thinking was: I only wana do this Once. If a 1200 watt Inverter didnt suit my needs ? I, at least.. had wire big enough.. to up-grade (some).

But with the price of Copper these dayz ? be ready for a Shocker (yes, a pun). :);)

IIRC, the 2 lengths cost me 'bout $75.00, OTD. A year ago.

On Edit ? Just an Idea ? I fabricated a mounting plate and mounted the plate where Powerboater mounted his Inverter. Used 4, 2X2" pieces (each corner) of Industrial Strength Velcro (black stuff) to secure the Inverter to the plate. Worked Very well.

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I hope you put fuses at the battery for that thing.

I have seen the INSTANT carnage that happens when a 10ga wire shorted out....... :eek:

Tbar

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That velcro thing sounds like a great idea to me. I don't think I will need anything bigger than a 600 watt inverter. i am not even sure why I would need an inverter, just nice to have.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That velcro thing sounds like a great idea to me. I don't think I will need anything bigger than a 600 watt inverter. i am not even sure why I would need an inverter, just nice to have.

;tu You might be surprized.. Once you have one inplace, seems like All Kinds of uses come into play.

Better to have one.. and not need it [much].. than to need one, and not have it.... Kinda thing. ;):)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl