Is it easy to change the 6.0 engine

HornetOne

Diesel ,Jet Fuel Addicted
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,
I just bought another 2005 F350 dually with 153k miles and the engine threw a rod . Found another engine with about 500 miles on it ,comes completes with its own electronics and turbo.
I was thinking to swaping it my self and would like to ask few questions here before hands.I've repalced several gas engines before but none of the dielsel .

1) Do I have to reprogrammed the the ECU in the truck before starting the new engine .

2) Is there any particular things should I pay more attentions to like oil pump,gasket,injectors ,etc....

Any inputs you could give will be greatly appreciated ,
Sonny !

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
First of all, you are in for a treat!!!!

There are two ways to go about this.

1. Unbolt the cab and front clip from the frame and lift it from the frame. Set aside and swap out the engine.

2. Unbolt the whole front clip, set aside and pull the engine out from the front.

Its an interesting and challenging feat for any shadetree mechanic. Its not your typical "gas engine" swap.

As fot the ECU.....not sure.........I am sure someone else will chime in.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! ;tu

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,
I just bought another 2005 F350 dually with 153k miles and the engine threw a rod . Found another engine with about 500 miles on it ,comes completes with its own electronics and turbo.
I was thinking to swaping it my self and would like to ask few questions here before hands.I've repalced several gas engines before but none of the dielsel .

1) Do I have to reprogrammed the the ECU in the truck before starting the new engine .

2) Is there any particular things should I pay more attentions to like oil pump,gasket,injectors ,etc....

Any inputs you could give will be greatly appreciated ,
Sonny !
It's a lot of work. Of course for most of us it's worth it :D
You need to be sure you get the same year range 6.0 as the old one for everything to be compatible. Otherwise you should need no reprogramming. I'd recommend that you install new head gaskets and studs, to eliminate future failure. As was said you can either remove the engine from the front of the truck (more work but if you don't have a suitable hoist to lift the body, it works fine. I've done it before)
Oh, and if it's a manual trans, I know you need to remove the trans to get the engine out, not sure about the autos.
Hope this helps and have fun! ;)

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Oh, and if it's a manual trans, I know you need to remove the trans to get the engine out, not sure about the autos.
Hope this helps and have fun! ;)

When the dealer removed my 6.0 (out the front of the truck), they left the auto tranny in place, just loosened up the mounts I believe.

HornetOne

Diesel ,Jet Fuel Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your replies, gents . As my comes with an auto tranny .I think I'm going with the way pulling the engine out in the front and will change the head gaskets as well ...
Best regards ,
Sonny !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl