Is it me...or

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
does there seem to be a lot of bad news lately? I have a 5-yr old (which you might've guessed if you've glanced at my avatar), and today's story out of Riverside, CA, yesterday's story out of Zion, Illinois, the daily 6-10 people murdered in Iraq by both sides, the Florida kidnappings/murders, the Spokane, WA mayoral scandal...

It goes on and on. I am getting concerned about letting my son go just two houses down the block, even in my nice quiet, safe neighborhood..seems these creeps are everywhere!

I look at normal people at McDonalds when I'm there with him and instantly assume they want to do evil. I'm losing the (tentative) hold on optimism I once had, and going into severe protection mode!

Someone tell me that what I'm seeing is supposed to be normal for a civilized society :dunno

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over population, over work, chemicals in the air and water, over eager news reporters that glamorize even the smallest tragedy because death sells. Death sells even better than sex!

Turn off the TV. Makes a world of difference.

Swany

truck driver
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Over population, over work, chemicals in the air and water, over eager news reporters that glamorize even the smallest tragedy because death sells. Death sells even better than sex!

AMEN!!! You nailed it!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:

Right on DARYL. Good news does'nt sell Air Time or News Print. You have to keep reminding yourself... there are ALOT more Good things happening, and ALOT more GOOD Folks out there makeing them happen... in our world, that we will NEVER EVER... hear, read or see about.

I remember a few years back... there was a small city TV station that tried a 1/2 hour of nothing but GOOD NEWS, GOOD things happening in the area.... did'nt last a month. Could'nt get sponsorship.

Don't be "Conditioned" by a twisted Media.

I, for one, have turned the NEWS Media off. I feel much, much better these days.

NO BRIAN, Its not you. It's "Them".

JOE

Last edited:

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
...over eager news reporters that glamorize even the smallest tragedy because death sells. Death sells even better than sex!

Actually, Daryl, I think that your point is a bit naive. It seems to be suggesting that burying my head in the sand is a better way to serve my family, when, knowing what I know now about today's society, I would consider that to be a disservice to their safety.

In addition, I watch less than an hour of TV news a week (ironically, your very employer is my most-often used source for the 'news'). I usually see most of the bad news when I'm working out, and the TV's in the club are on. I've long since learned to not have news on at home - why should I have to explain murder, priest rapes, etc. to my 5-yr old?

I'm sure you didn't mean to come across as preaching...and I'd be willing to bet that you are as acutely aware of society's ills as I am, and probably more, due to your New Whorleans experience.

I'm just a little down today about the recent events, don't need a sermon :dunno .

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not a youngster in today's messed up world. Sure the media accentuates the violence but it just keeps getting worse year after year. Life was simple during the 50's & 60's even in NYC where I grew up.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, im not saying bury your head in the sand, but I am saying that what is reported is the absolute worst of the worst, and by listening to it and watching it, you perpetuate it.

If everyone turned OFF the news because of its content, then they would be forced to change their presentation of the news. I dont need to see dead bodies in the streets during the dinner hour.

Now, I also understand the NEED to report stuff. Imagine if they never reported the atrocities of WW-II? Would the internment camps have been liberated as fast? Or would we realize exactly HOW BAD hitler was?

Im just saying, if your feeling that your fellow man is following the low road, dont watch the news, it will only confirm and solidify your feelings.

Yes, I do work in media, so I have a very clear, behind the scenes look at what goes on during a tragedy. The newsroom turns into a flurry of "kids in a candy store" as they all try to outdo each other for stories.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
I look at normal people at McDonalds when I'm there with him and instantly assume they want to do evil. I'm losing the (tentative) hold on optimism I once had, and going into severe protection mode!

Someone tell me that what I'm seeing is supposed to be normal for a civilized society :dunno

Brian,

Welcome to the world of parenting and continually worrying about your childs well being. If you didnt have concerns about what and where your child was I would call you a failure as a parent. But seeing you worry about the state of the world today assures me that your child is probably getting the kind of parenting he needs and will most likely not be one of the kids sitting in juvy hall at the age of 13. Just keep hugging and loving that kid and do the things you know are right and he will be just fine.....and I lay heavy odds that he will parent his children in a very similar manner you parent him.:sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Oh, im not saying bury your head in the sand, but I am saying that what is reported is the absolute worst of the worst, and by listening to it and watching it, you perpetuate it.

If everyone turned OFF the news because of its content, then they would be forced to change their presentation of the news. I dont need to see dead bodies in the streets during the dinner hour.

Now, I also understand the NEED to report stuff. Imagine if they never reported the atrocities of WW-II? Would the internment camps have been liberated as fast? Or would we realize exactly HOW BAD hitler was?

Im just saying, if your feeling that your fellow man is following the low road, dont watch the news, it will only confirm and solidify your feelings.

Yes, I do work in media, so I have a very clear, behind the scenes look at what goes on during a tragedy. The newsroom turns into a flurry of "kids in a candy store" as they all try to outdo each other for stories.

Daryl.... No Harm nor Foul intended at you.

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@#$ MEDIA

Yep, when it is bad news or a tragidy they really go into a feeding frenzy.
CNN, FOX will be at it 24/7.
They can make two people suffering from hangnails in a town into an epidemic of national proportions. :cussing:
But, there are a lot of sicko's outthere, a parent has to be alert these days,
If those child molesters were doing life... or dead, would solve some of the problems.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14