Is my trans failing me?

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a mess, beyond my other post regarding cold starts and glow plug issues, I also think my trans is going. This is where I am at...

I currently have 137K miles on the truck. The bogging noise that I have been hearing for the past 5 years is from what I am being told the torque converter not locking up. Now when I smash down on the gas the truck has no pick up and can barely get out of it's own way. It's so bad that I get nervous trying to pass people on local roads. Infact I was trailering a friends 71 mustang fastback to get restored and my truck or trans started to vibrate/shake bad. I never experinced trans shudder, but that was my only guess. So that's where I stand. I am not looking forward to dropping 5 grand in my trans and toque converter considering I just spent 4k in re-doing the front end of my truck this summer after hitting a deer a day after my birthday!:dizzy

There are no codes for the trans either.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The PCM can't tell when a tranny is failing. There are no sensors to detect slipping clutches or Torque Converters. It sounds like yours is shot. Sorry about the money, times are still tough out there.

Dave

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! Now I have to find a good trans guy in the next few months either locally or willing to ship.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's a lot of money, but I have yet to hear anyone say they were
sorry they took there's to BTS. At 137K miles on the truck, it's had a good
life. Good Luck.
Brians Truck Shop
Doug

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug, I heard great things about BTS. I read a lot about him on this forum and other areas on the web. However, I live in NJ and he lives in AK that could be a problem.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM can't tell when a tranny is failing.
Dave

Dave how would you classify the error codes P0700-0799?

While I'll differ with Dave about the PCM having no way to tell if the transmission is failing. He does indirectly point out that by the time the PCM knows that the transmission is failing it's long gone, often the seat of your pants will give you a bit of an earlier warning. The earliest warning most of us get when the transmission dies is a flashing OD light.

One of the easiest tests to see if your converter lockup clutch is failing is:
1. drive & warm up the transmission (converter will not not lock if fluid is too cold)
2. drive maintaining a constant speed in excess of 40 mph this will ensure that the converter is locked
3. press the fuel pedal firmly but not to WOT while watching the tach it should rise slowly in direct relation to speed "bouncing" your foot between 1/4 & 3/4 throttle should only impact how quickly the tach is rising if it bounces with your foot then the converter is not locking.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
PCM codes will be set/stored when it no longer can control the output of the device, so Brandon is actually closer.. whether or not it illuminates the SES/CEL light, depends on the actual code, much like the engine performance codes.
It's very possible it may have several codes, I/O speed, can't control shift, gear ratio error (slippage), and there be no light illuminated.

That being said, my trans was within miles of a major failure when I took it in a couple years ago (at 137k). I've got a friend in the business.
Some guys say you can do them yourself, I say if you don't have parts washers already in your garage, you are unprepared.

BTS isn't a shop where guys take their trucks. A few who are able do, I remember not that long ago someone from this site having Bama haul his up there. But most of their work is freight-in cores which they then service.

As far as cost goes, a BTS is really not that much more than what an Aamco or Jasper unit would run you anyway, and it's about as bullet-proof as you can get.

So warm up that Discover card.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've called BTS for my trans. Even though I would had liked to go visit him to have the trans done, they will be shipping it to me when I am ready.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTS is in Arkansas, not Alaska. I have been to his shop many times, and he is
one of the good guys for sure. It just takes so long to get into his shop, he so far
backed up. If you have a camper to pull, there is a camp ground about 3 miles
from his shop, that I use.
Doug

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I probably will be calling BTS soon. I did have the OD light blink the other day when I started my truck. I guess I should get AAA renewed and get the credit card warmed up! LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl