Question Is the 6.0 I/C a Direct Bolt In?

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score

I have read that it lowers between 50 to 100* towing and minimun if any, non towing, so maybe in your case is not worth it. :dunno
Im going to install a 6.0 IC in my OBS (non intercooled), so the decrease in EGTs will be very good, I hope. ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guna just simply say: The 6.0 I/C is just [Better], IMO, than the stock 7.3 I/C.

Don't know if I could, or would, put any numbers to it, but with it's increased surface area and volume I noticed it to be.. more Efficient.

With my 12K 5r in tow, and my driving style.. I had to watch EGTs closely to stay under my personal high temp of 950 (or so) degrees, and downshift.

With the 6.0 I/C, I don't need to watch the EGTs nearly as close. I just scan the gauge. Downshifting is much less.

Sooo, if it's feasible and anyone has access to a 6.0 I/C, new or used.. and you [Work] yer 7.3 at all.... you might wana think about putting one on.

It's a Bigger [Better] Inter-cooler ?

:dunno

Joe

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have there been any issues with the plastic tanks on the 6.0 coolers?

none that I've seen posted, plenty of people boosting upwards of 40psi on them.

That being said I do expect them to age harden so that when the 6.0 coolers are 15+ years old to see some rupture from boost pressures or when someone cranks a boot clamp too tight.

JRJ04

Reaction score
given how i use my truck MOST of the time (daily driver), I've decided to hold off on the I/C and just stick with getting the tranny cooler. I think for the purpose I use the truck for, its not worth the $$.

Thanks guys!

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have there been any issues with the plastic tanks on the 6.0 coolers?

Yes there has been. When you start putting the HP to the ground and building big boost numbers the 6.0 I/C will not hold up the way the 7.3 will.

I can't recall the boost numbers off the top of my head but have talked to 2 guys that have 7.3 with 6.0 I/C and they both popped the sides.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
given how i use my truck MOST of the time (daily driver), I've decided to hold off on the I/C and just stick with getting the tranny cooler. I think for the purpose I use the truck for, its not worth the $$.

Thanks guys!

I am in the same boat you are in. I have been wanting a new I/C for along time but I am just going to upgrade the Tranny cooler for now and when I start adding more HP then I will change the I/C out.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i hear the 6.0 I/C will blow the end tanks around 40-45psi. thats just what i'm told by the owner of a performance diesel shop near me..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58