Question Is there additional oil to change?

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
This post is referring to my friends 1996 F-Superduty with the 7.3 in it. (approx 200K miles)

Has anyone heard of changing the injector oil on these trucks? My friend was telling me about how changing the oil in our trucks does not change the injector oil. He tells me that there is a 3 quart oil system for the injectors that is seperate from the approximate 15 quarts that I normally change.
He tells me that this oil must be sucked out using a pump and replaced just as often as the regular oil to ensure maximum life out of the injectors. I did a quick search and was unable to find any hard evidence of this.
There are two reasons that I bring this up.
1- should I be changing this to get more miles out of my truck?
2- About a week after he did this oil change he had major injector issues. Bad enough that he can no longer drive the truck. Im not sure what his exact symptoms are but Im wondering if he made something fail by messing with the injector oil.
I plan on going to his house later this week to see what the damages are, but from what he says, all the injectors need to be replaced. (if they do, are there any suggestions on good places to buy them?)

Thanks in advance!!!:hail

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Change your oil normally and you will be just fine. The oil that your friend is referring to circulates with the oil in the pan all of the time. There is nothing to be gained by getting every last drop of oil out of the engine. You will have problems like your friend.

Dave

sikodiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as injector oil! Crank case oil is circulated though the injectors. The injerctors run off of high pressure oil fed bye the low pressur oil system. And yes when you do an oil change not all of the oil is draned out of the engine. about 2-3 quarts is still in the high pressure oil resivoir and injectors.. But to answere your question you DO NOT change injector oil

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post is referring to my friends 1996 F-Superduty with the 7.3 in it. (approx 200K miles)

Has anyone heard of changing the injector oil on these trucks? My friend was telling me about how changing the oil in our trucks does not change the injector oil. He tells me that there is a 3 quart oil system for the injectors that is seperate from the approximate 15 quarts that I normally change.
He tells me that this oil must be sucked out using a pump and replaced just as often as the regular oil to ensure maximum life out of the injectors. I did a quick search and was unable to find any hard evidence of this.
There are two reasons that I bring this up.
1- should I be changing this to get more miles out of my truck?
2- About a week after he did this oil change he had major injector issues. Bad enough that he can no longer drive the truck. Im not sure what his exact symptoms are but Im wondering if he made something fail by messing with the injector oil.
I plan on going to his house later this week to see what the damages are, but from what he says, all the injectors need to be replaced. (if they do, are there any suggestions on good places to buy them?)

Thanks in advance!!!:hail

;)This Urban Rumor (JMO) has floated around, and been beat to Death.

No offence to you.. or your friend but:

There is No "Injector Oil". The injectors a "Popped" (fired) by the SAME engine oil that is in the Crank Case.

Simply put ? The engine oil pump supplies oil to the high pressure oil pump (HPOP) which then boosts the oil pressure to the required, higher pressure(s) needed to pop each injector.

When you change oil, a small amount of CC oil stays in the HPOP, due to a check valve. That oil gets mixed with the Fresh oil.. in an amount that is MOOT, as far as contaminating the fresh oil.. in Any way.

The HPOP is just an integral part or the engine oil lubrication system.

Your friends No start Issues [may be].. caused by the HPOP being dry of oil, due to [perceived], injector oil.. being removed. It may need to be primed and purged.. with engine CC oil ?

On Edit ? Redundancy but: what Posters 2,3 & 4 said too..... ? ;):D:)

Last edited:

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
I kinda figured that the oil in the HPOP oil would be the same as engine oil and when mixed with 15 quarts of fresh stuff should be just fine. I wanted to double check with you guys just to be safe, I would hate to have to replace anything due to ignorance. Im not too sure why he thinks its the injectors that are the problem, but Ill be checking on it later this week.
I always appreciate your input.
Thanks again!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58