Question Is there any good 6.o's out there?

tomtom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 6L and have had a fair share of problems 16 injectors, head gasket, egr cooler, etc. I have 130K on odo and am the original owner. Are there any good stories out there? I don't understand why you'd put all the aftermarket goodies on something with such a horrible reputation. I like my truck I just hate that it spends at least a month a year at the dealers shop waiting on repairs/warranty issues.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....KNOCKING ON WOOD....

I;ve got about 43K on my 05 and she has not been in the shop for any engine related items...yet...

I did have it flashed once and they put the new decal on the degas bottle, but that was it.

I've got a tuner and an aftermarket exhaust...no problems here. Still makes me smile.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
03's were known to be troublesome, and then pretty much only the early 03's. The 04,05,06 and 07 model years were much better trucks overall.

87coupe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
turbo back, CAI, diablo tuner 03 6.0L. No major problems. Been in shop twice 125k. I LOVE MY TRUCK

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 03 much like the first year of any new engine/vehicle had a ton of bugs to work out. I have an 05 w/68k I've blown up the EGR cooler, and recently lost an injector both probably attributed to my heavy right foot. My uncle has an 03 w/35k and has had a ton of problems and has what felt like half the power when I drove it. He does however get better mileage.:burnit

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TomTom

My 06 with 40k, still a youngun, but no problems so far. I think the key to these 6.0's is clean oil, so I use a bypass oil filter system. I also think a synthetic oil is best for these engines, with regular oil changes. Finally use of ULSD is best for the EGR system. Keep up with the regular maintenance, and I'd like to think you will have better luck now that you have the bugs out of her. Alot of people don't know that you shouldn't run a 6.0 out of fuel as you can ruin the injectors, especially in the early 6.0's. Hope you have better luck now.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 is an engineering marvel when it runs right. It is more like a piece of art than an engine. I have had problems with mine too, but considering the complexity of all the systems involved in this engine, and the power output, the later models are very reliable. Yeah the 03 and some 04's are probably mostly bad....and ford took a bath on the warranties.... but they did work the kinks out eventually. I wouldn't trade mine on a 6.4....ever! If I trade in my 05, it will be on an 07 :D

Last edited:

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my list is longer than yours - however - not as many injectors....and since all work has been done, runs (whistles dixie) great - mileage always improving @ ~76700 miles....

tomtom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had a predator and that is what I think caused the head gaskets. Only ran it on the towing setting. I run an FS2500 bypass filter and do regular filter changes and oil test, but only change oil every 30K or so. Its worked out Ford put more oil in the truck than I have with all the work they've done on it. I must say it has been relatively cheap to operate, its just the down time I hate. Would like to get a newer truck but am very reluctant to consider any Ford. Fuel mileage ain't great either. I typically get 13.75 under normal driving, hook any trailer to it drops to 10-11, hook a heavy 15K+ and it gets 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg