is this bad?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
noticed this today when i was under the truck removing one of my steps.

i did gear something the other day that went up into the wheel well when i was going down the road. notice the marks on my exhaust.

does this look like it's supposed to?

notice the zip ties?

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's supposed to be a boot on there Clint. Probably dried up and flew off. Not a Big deal.. but should definetly be replaced. Keeps the grit & grime out of the spline/slip joint.

Joe

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
If it was held on with zip ties, I would suggest going back to the metal band clamps like it had from the factory. Could have been part of the problem.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using zipties on mine for a LONG time with no issues.....makes lubing easy. As mentioned below, it probably dry rotted and broke apart.......but I would still consider that to be odd because my truck has 315k and that has never been replaced. I might need to look at it's condition a little more closely the next time I lube the splines.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's supposed to be a boot on there Clint. Probably dried up and flew off. Not a Big deal.. but should definetly be replaced. Keeps the grit & grime out of the spline/slip joint.

Joe

That just gives you a good excuse to grease up the splines while your at it. Could be GOD looking out for you! ( Least that's the way I look at finding things like that). :D

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
just ordered the replacement part from the dealer. $26.00. I'll post the part # when it gets in.

How often do the splines need to be lubed? and what exactly do i lube it with?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on use. 4 wheel'n, towing and so on. Some trucks come with a zerk, on the yoke shaft. Mine didn't so I check it when I greaze the U-joints ? (3-4 times a year) Or.. when I've been towing allot.. more often.

I use a Marine grade (Blue) bearing grease on mine, but some use Lubri-Plate, wheel bearing grease ?

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Depends on use. 4 wheel'n, towing and so on. Some trucks come with a zerk, on the yoke shaft. Mine didn't so I check it when I greaze the U-joints ? (3-4 times a year) Or.. when I've been towing allot.. more often.

I use a Marine grade (Blue) bearing grease on mine, but some use Lubri-Plate, wheel bearing grease ?

Joe

just for the record, Lubri-Plate is engine assembly grease, and I swear by it...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58