Question Is too much to much????

Roadtech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

Kinda new to the wonderful world of Powerstrokes and always keeping my eyes and ears open learning new tips and tricks. Currently running a basicly stock 05 F250 6.0L FX4, It's nothing fancy (Yet) but it gets me where I need to go.
Watched some postings on here about tires and did my search and just had the Goodyear Silent Armors progrades installed and what a difference. Great deal thanks to the guys at Discount Tire.

My big question is since I'm stuck living in Southern Ohio I put 10 60lbs. (600lbs) sand tubes in the bed to get better traction.5 on top of axle, 5 in front of axle, Did I go a little overboard?? or should I wait till we really get hammered with the white crap before I start taking them out. Just wondering what everyone else uses weight wise.
There is a F350 DRW running around the 'hood with 2 55 gallon drums full of water in his bed so that is over 900lbs. Maybe I'm not that far off then.

Thanks.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i would say 'a little overkill'....

it is a 4x....you should not need any weight....if needed you can drive around in 4hi

i ran 6 tubes and or 8 62# srw blocks (wall blocks) for weight ONLY BECAUSE i ran a 900+ lb. plow up front and it helped balance out the truck really well....

this is only my 2c opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i have no clue but it sounds like that is too much..i havent spent a lot of time up north but i have spent some time working up north in the winter and have never needed anything but if you drive in it alot then a few hundred pounds might be ok but again jst one southern boys opinion

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Northern Illinois, used to drive a two wheel drive Sonoma. Never put weight in it. Now with a 4X4 diesel, definately no weight. That is what 4 wheel drive is for. If it is that bad out STAY HOME it will wait till tomorrow!

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Red and majek, I used to have a '86 250 2 wheel and I never put weight in it. With my 03 I still don't, it's all about the tires. Know your tires, know your truck, the rest will fall into place.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I would say it's purely preference... if you wanna do it.. it prolly won't "hurt" anything cept your back loading and unloading :D, I don't think you would "need" it though... its like Big Rog.... it's all about the tires:thumbs....

on a lighter note.... WELCOME to SDD.com!!!

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another issue with the weight, like sand tubes, is that they become a missile if sudden stop or accident. Just .02

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58