It finally happened to me

Fine69

Reaction score
Well after reading a fair amount of posts about people having their intercooler hoses blow off, it finally happened to me yesterday. I was towing a small utility trailer with 2 quads on it. The truck wasn't running right all day, it seemed to be really low on power, and it seemed to be overboosting quite a bit. I figured maybe my turbo was sticking again, (its been replaced 3 times already). So, anyway, I was headed home from camp, up a long hill. I was only going about 45, and BANG, it let loose. The boost gauge was at about 30 lbs of boost, yet it wasn't running anywhere near like it usually does. Sorry for the long winded post, anybody have any clue whats up with this thing? It goes into the dealer later this week. I'm about ready to check into a Cummins swap! :dizzy

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Might be easier [and cheaper] to try a different way of attaching the hose. Just clean up the inside of the hose, then rough up a little with some steel wool. Do the same for the outer portion of the inlet, then spray with Permatex High-tack. Re-assemble. Let dry for a couple of hours. Mine used to blow off fairly regularly until I cleaned it and used some high-tack. The CCV mod might be for you if your pushing too much oil thru the tubes.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you GOT to clean the mating
surfaces of the hose & connection.

i agree <there i said it> w/ f350drw1
use some form-a-gasket and tighten
the clamps...LET IT Set up good
before you drive it.

Fine69

Reaction score
I forgot to say, my truck is still under warranty, so any type of repair is totally on the dealer. I was able to limp it home using 2 regular screw type hose clamps. I still would like to know why my truck was overboosting so much and running so bad,:dunno

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what makes you think it was over boosting...i see 30psi all the time...peaks to 32psi are common.
the clamps either worked themselves loose (combined w/ the oil mist) or were never adequately tightened,
knowing the youve had turbine work done i suspect the clamps werent tight and the hose surfaces
probably werent cleaned.

are you running a tuner ? are you relying on the factory boost gauge ? or some
other data point for psi readings.

honestly any dealer thats replaced the same part three times (in 3/36k) is suspect...id fix that hose myself.

take it to the dealer...but you could be worse off when all is said and done...and
you could be w/out transportation while they "get to it"

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
Bush, I'm just going by the stock boost gauge. I think it's overboosting just based on how it was running, compared to how it usually runs. I rarely ever see that much boost as slow as I was going when the hose blew off. The turbo was also farting all weekend. I know it could have just had a leak, and thats why it seemed to be running so poor. I don't have a tuner, just an exhaust and a coolant filter. The dealer is a close friend of mine, so I know it will get placed at the front of the line.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
x3 for the Permatex High-Tac

I blew my boost tubes off 3 times, each time I cleaned them thouroughly, let them dry degreased them, and then cleaned again for good measure, and it was still blowing off. I called Banks tech support, since I have their intercooler and tubes, and they recomended the High-Tac, I had to have my local parts store order it for me, I applied a coat to the outside of the turbo housing where the boot goes, and to the inside of the boot, let set according to directions, and attached, then let dry, I haven't blown a boost tube since, and it's been 9 months, I've even been Drag Racing with the truck, no problems at all.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
...something besides the permatex hi tack that also works happens to be in the bathroom... hairspray...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14