it finally happened

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to understand how serious he is about selling my truck he also is going to sell his 01 lightning. the topic is all about fuel economy. he is complaining about his fuel bill for the company. i may try and talk to him about keeping it as a tow vehicle for his old cars. i know it wont take over hundred dollars to fill up the rangers tank. i do feel that pinch at the pump more like a slap

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so heres what ive figured out mpg/cost wise...

at your current rate (18mpg) of diesel consumption vs. the 20mpg
that you MIGHT get from the ranger...youre talking about a cost
savings of THREE cents per mile (assuming the cost of diesel is 20 cents
higher per gallon than the cost of gas).

for the math chanllenged (who will refute my price per gallon differential)...
if the price per gallon is 60 cents different thats a whole 9 cents per mile
savings w/ the ranger...

now lets also account for how much LESS the ranger will carry (since you
said the truck is a "work" truck)...and the increased repair bills from
overloading the ranger !

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm playing with putting my ranger back together. I loved having the 356hp 302 in the truck, and I was getting around 20mpg. There was no weight for the motor to push so the mileage was really good. :sweet

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Nickel and diming? In the last year I've done alt./batt's, ball-joints and wheel bearings, HPOP, EGR cooler, and a transmission. A cool 10k on top of the last 8 payments, reg. and insurance. And I'm finding out the hard way that these vehicles have depreciated about an additional 15% because of the price of fuel. Of course there's lots of room to talk on a new one, though. They ain't moving. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck with almost 3k on the ticker is not going to be worth much trying to sell it in this market. Heck except for the seasoned diesel vet most are scared to look at a truck with 200k on it.

If you already have the ranger then keep the truck around for when you NEED the larger truck and drive the ranger on a daily basis.

FWIW I had a '90 supercab ranger 2.9 5-speed 2wd and consistently pulled 22-24MPG same out of the '93 Mazda B3000 5-speed. The '90 was totaled by an accord at 217k running perfectly (because it knew there was a 302 in the basement waiting to go in)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nickel and diming? In the last year I've done alt./batt's, ball-joints and wheel bearings, HPOP, EGR cooler, and a transmission. A cool 10k on top of the last 8 payments, reg. and insurance. And I'm finding out the hard way that these vehicles have depreciated about an additional 15% because of the price of fuel. Of course there's lots of room to talk on a new one, though. They ain't moving. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

amortized over how many years/miles ?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
4 / 240k+ But most everything thats gone wrong has been in the last 8-9 months. However, spread over 48 months it would be an additional $208.33 per month. According to my records, I've changed the oil 57 times. So thats about another $2880.00. Fuel filters done 16 times. There's about $800.00 Almost $44,000 on fuel so far. And $2700 on tires. Figure $2.27 a mile w/out reg. and insurance including purchase price.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 / 240k+ But most everything thats gone wrong has been in the last 8-9 months. However, spread over 48 months it would be an additional $208.33 per month. According to my records, I've changed the oil 57 times. So thats about another $2880.00. Fuel filters done 16 times. There's about $800.00 Almost $44,000 on fuel so far. And $2700 on tires. Figure $2.27 a mile w/out reg. and insurance including purchase price.

you got 240k outta the original balljoints ???

and not to minimize your point...these trucks are by nature
mechanical (which means they WILL wear & tear & break) and to
theyre beasts...and their parts arent cheap...and if you cant wrench
on it yourself (for what ever reason) theyre gonna be even MORE costly.

theyre not for everyone...and as our lives change some may <including
myself> no longer have the need...that being said...more than a few
bought these trucks who probably SHOULDNT have <could be me>

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
you got 240k outta the original balljoints ???

and not to minimize your point...these trucks are by nature
mechanical (which means they WILL wear & tear & break) and to
theyre beasts...and their parts arent cheap...and if you cant wrench
on it yourself (for what ever reason) theyre gonna be even MORE costly.

theyre not for everyone...and as our lives change some may <including
myself> no longer have the need...that being said...more than a few
bought these trucks who probably SHOULDNT have <could be me>

No, but the original front end lasted me close to 180. Bush, I'm not complaining about the truck. The truck is tagged commercial and I've made alot of money with it. Unless you have real deep pockets, I can't imagine having one if you don't use it to tow / pull / plow / etc. I keep mine because I need a tow vehicle. If I didn't have trailers to pull or wasn't in a position to make money with it...gone. As we speak, the truck needs about another 2k thrown at it. I may keep it, or trade up. Haven't decided.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58