It just quit!!!

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No warning, no symptoms, no warning lights. Driving 60mph and it just shut off. Not like running out of fuel, but just dead. Did this exact same thing 4-5 years ago and it was the cam sensor. Changed sensor on side of the road and did not fix problem - just cranks. Plugged in my superchips 1705 programer to read the dtc's and it says "No Response". I have never had this happen with the programer. Please Help!

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Truck went down this morning. No warning, no symptoms, no warning lights. Driving 60mph and it just shut off. Not like running out of fuel, but just dead. Did this exact same thing 4-5 years ago and it was the cam sensor. Changed sensor on side of the road and did not fix problem - just cranks. Plugged in my superchips 1705 programer to read the dtc's and it says "No Response". I have never had this happen with the programer. Please Help!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I may be off base here since you have an OBS and I have a 99 Superduty, but do you have a check engine light when you first turn the key on?

If there are not any lights that briefly test after turning the key on, that is a indicator the PCM is not getting any power. The culprit is often a blown fuse. The guilty fuse also powers a blown & shorted fuel heater element in the filter bowl. The quick fix was to unplug the fuel heater wire connector plug and replace the fuse.

Like I said, I don't know if this applies to an OBS. But I hope it helps.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smacks of a loose/dirty connection.... Check yer Batt cable clamps, give all the connectors you can find a wiggle.. including the main boss plug at the PCM/ECM ??? check all yer fuses too ??

Disconnect the fuel heater connection @ the fuel filter bowl.

(I'm stab'n at it with & about an OBS truck but...)

Last edited:

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
All my indicator lights come on when I turn the key on. Operating normal in that respect. I just ment it did not give me a check engine light when it quit or after. The lights go out after a few seconds just like normal.

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will go do it now. Where is the pcm /ecm? I still have my truck programmed, will unhooking the batteries cause any problems with that?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoops.. doubled up with TG but hope you get it fixed.

joe

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
U gettin fuel under pressure to the fuel filter?

Quick way of checking is to open the drain and turn the key on. If it changes from a dribble to a spray when you turn the key on, then the fuel pump is working and fuel is moving.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will go do it now. Where is the pcm /ecm? I still have my truck programmed, will unhooking the batteries cause any problems with that?

On the Batt disconnect ? Again.. not sure with the OBS stuff but No, I don't think so.

PCM should be under the dash.. on the Driver side. Follow/trace the DIN plug wires.

dpantazis

Reaction score
do not double post to different forums. all posts merged to here.

is your PCM programmed or do you have a chip installed? it is a known feature that if you are chipped and batteries get low, it will be no start condition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl