Help Needed It's Time for Brakes

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well, like the title says...I need new brakes.

I'm considering aftermarket but not sure where to start...

Right now I've got OEM rotors and Wagner severe duty pads. They have lasted ok, but I don't think aftermarket rotors and pads are that much more expensive. My rotors are warped bigtime and i know my pads are about shot. do you need to replace the back one's if they are still ok? my thoughts are the front brakes do the majority of the work.

your thoughts?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The powerslot rotors and hawk pads are well worth the money but a little pricey compared to the OE replacements. (aftermarket) I would at least inspect the rear brakes and emergency brake shoes when you do the front. Also check the rear caliper slides since they do tend to seize up from time to time. Cheers, P.

JRJ04

Reaction score
oh i will absolutely check the rear. so long as they are ok, I'm leaving them alone. Do the hawk rotors and pads last longer than OE or is the life about the same?

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did Hawk pads all around and powerslot rotors up front. I was replacing motorcraft pads and severely warped ford rotors. Approximately 20k miles and no issues yet, still have great pad life remaining. Very happy with the stopping power.

JRJ04

Reaction score
hey stephen, have you ever used frozen rotors? im just curious if you get your bang for you buck by going with aftermarket rather than just sticking with the oem setup.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have frozen Power Slots, and yes I would have to say that it was a very good investment.

They still look almost like new after over 3 years of use.

JRJ04

Reaction score
good deal. i see that they are more expensive than the regular power slots. ive got to replace my intercooler boots too so im thinking i might go the cheaper route. and to top it all off, i might have a leaky ps pump, leaky water pump...and probaly need to do all the ball joint etc pretty soon. when it rains it pours!

dburggren

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How to you remove the rotors?

I'm about to replace my front brakes again (2002 F250 4X4, 135k miles). Last time, I replaced the pads, but couldn't get any of the bolts out that hold the bracket that I need to remove the rotors. Now the rotors are worse, and really need to be turned or replaced. Same problem, I have the calipers off and could replace just the pads again. But I can't get the same bolts out to remove the brackets and get the rotors off. I'm using a 21mm impact socket on my impact gun maxed out at 120psi.

Sound like you guys have done rotors before. How do you get the OEM ones off?

Thx.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58