Question Jeep Liberty CRD

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Hey just curious if anyone here has a CRD, and if so what do you think about it.Got my wife leaning that way.We have it for about 4 days or so, her friend is a salesman ,lol.Shes wanting something bigger than her VW passat (which I hate).Just wanting to see if there any issues, reliability, mileage, addons and what not.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
well....the v6 diesel is exactly the same as the one i am constantly working on in the Sprinter vans. in all honesty i would advise you to stay away. the design, layout, and electronics are all BAD. they are giving me some good overtime!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I hear the CRD in the liberty is reasonable however I despise the liberty to begin with.

I had a gas v6 for a rental when my old truck caught a terminal case of honda accord.

the space in there was less than you have in the passat, especially the back seat. As a 6' guy I was looking out through the tint at the top of the window which means the sunvisor was not to be used because it blocked my vision. The cargo floor space in the back is less than I have in the trunk of my 325. Overall after driving the thing for about 2 weeks I was thrilled to give it back an decided that I should have taken the EB Expedition that was my other choice... the mileage would have been comparable too.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
The Liberty is a 2.8l Common Rail 4Cyl turbo. Not a V6. The V6 was in the Grand Cherokee.

I tell you these things from personal experience on an 06 CRD that belongs to my in-laws. I get to work on it.:dunno

I immediate upgrade to make is replacing the factory fuel filter,water separator,fuel heater unit with a Racor unit and adding a lift pump.

The factory piece has a plastic heater unit that has 2 very, very common failures:
1 The unit sucks air and causes poor idle ,hard starts and a louder engine as well as reduced MPG.
2 The connections on the inside of the heater where the element itself attaches are flawed and when combined with an air pocket from problem 1 can result in a melt down and even fire. Several Libertys have burned to the ground from this problem.

I purchased the Racor unit and with very little modification it works great. There is even a heater option but we don't need it this far south.

Now for the lift pump, it's easy. The Euro spec(Aussie incl.) 2.8 CRD Liberty and TJ have lift pump units. The US Libertys are already pre-wired for it from the Relay all the way back to the rear seat. Add the right pump, some fuel fittings and a little wire and it's in.

Make sure the Torque Converter recall has been performed and the front Ball Joint Recall as well.

Thats about all I can think of right now.Hope this helps

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
The Liberty is a 2.8l Common Rail 4Cyl turbo. Not a V6. The V6 was in the Grand Cherokee.

i thought they ditched that and were using the mercedes V6? thats what i was told when i was at school for the engine, i wouldnt know though i have never touched a liberty. i knew they were in the cherokees. is the 4cylinder an older style inline? they were crap too! or is it just a shortened v6, with the same electronics that puke every 5000miles?

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
i thought they ditched that and were using the mercedes V6? thats what i was told when i was at school for the engine, i wouldnt know though i have never touched a liberty. i knew they were in the cherokees. is the 4cylinder an older style inline? they were crap too! or is it just a shortened v6, with the same electronics that puke every 5000miles?

It's none of the above. It's a purpose built inline 4cyl turbo diesel. German design Euro motor.

Cherokees never had a diesel, only the Grand Cherokee in 06,07,08.

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Thanks.Ive also seen that you should mod the EGR setup off the bat.The little thing has lots of power, and I fit much better in the Jeep than the Passat.This CRD is the 05 model as well.Havent checked to see if the recalls have been done but will do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58