Jerking while towing

norcal

Norcal
Reaction score
Question for you guys. I got a 31' 5th wheel trailer with a GVWR OF 13,300 pounds so bought myself a new '09 F-350 SD with the 6.4L engine and automatic transmission. It is a long bed with 4WD. I knew the CG and height were off on the trailer as opposed to my old truck so I went in today and had the axles flipped to give me more height and level the trailer to the truck. I am also using a Ranch Hitch 3100 GN adapter (rated at 24,000 pounds) on the RV so I won't have to have a 5th wheel hitch. The option is either the GN hitch OR the 5th wheeel hitch. Since I also pull a 3H GN trailer, there was no question as to which I would want / use. After all this, I get a "jerking" or "bucking" type of ride when I am on uneven road or go over a bump on the highway. The RV dealer says I should install air bags on the truck to solve this problem. The truck is a 1 ton, with a HD supsension, camper package, and anti sway bar. I have used airbags in the past but that was to solve either a front to rear height differnce or side to side sway as in with a cabover camper. What do you think? Have you experienced this type of problem and how did you solve it?

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
if it is a bounce type bucking the air bag might help but it might also have something to do with the axle flip and you may want to put shocks on the trailer.

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
sound like a tongue weight problem. If the tongue weight is too heavy, bags will minimize it, but if the tongue is too light the bags will help but turn it into more a jolt than a buck. I've also heard the front leveling kit will help some, but I have no first hand experience with that.

Also there are just some CA roads where you cant get away from it.. I've got about 15K miles on CA roads with a 45' 15K+ pound trailer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58