Question Jet Fuel?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Hello. Been a while since I have had internet > superdutydeisel.com. But I had to work late one day and on the way home I was fueling up and a man stumbled out from the station to say that he was only here because "he got cought empty". He said "I usually fill up at the airport, with jet fuel. It only costs $2.20 a gallon, and runs better since it is so refined". I nodded my head and brushed it off, but $2.20 is worth asking about. anyone know about this, or is this guy blowing smoke up my tailpipe:dunno

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
My dad works in the airforce on c-130s that run on JP-8(jet fuel) It is cheaper at about 3.00 a gallon(in Georgia). It's nothing more that kerosene and diesel mixed together with some other additives. So it probably would run in a diesel truck. He said that in a pinch the planes can run on straight kerosene or in a big emergency diesel. Diesel doesn't atomize well in their fuel system he said though.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
there is more than just one type of "jet fuel". some types resemble gasoline more than diesel. i dont know enough about the actual letter number designations and what is what, but we had a customer fill up on some "jet fuel" (fuel sample confirmed) and he ended up burning the pistons and needed an engine.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A diesel engine can be set-up to accept jet fuels but the set-up involves Many seal, gasket and O ring changes to the fuel system components (the additives). Depending on the Year, Make and Model. Be Careful. Check with the Maker.

I once dumped (mixed) 2 gallons of JP-5 in a GM 6.2.. it ate ALL the seals and gaskets in the Roosamaster pump'n started a small fire at the electrical connector to the fuel shut off solenoid. (turned the O rings to mush)

Be Careful. I'd check with IH first.

Joe

25 years in the Aviation/Ground Fuel Bidness.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is more than just one type of "jet fuel". some types resemble gasoline more than diesel. i dont know enough about the actual letter number designations and what is what, but we had a customer fill up on some "jet fuel" (fuel sample confirmed) and he ended up burning the pistons and needed an engine.

Yes.. the API gravity, Flash Point and additives are different from Grade to Grade. Example ? JP-4 has type of Naphtha in it.. is an Explosive liquid.. Not a Flammable Liquid. Why the NAVY uses JP-5 on the Carriers ? FIRE verses EXSPLOSION hazard. Hot Stuff.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
cool! he did say it was a specific type of fuel at the airport that he uses but at that point I wasn't listening anymore. Maybe it was something 22? Thanks for letting me know, was thinking I would have to do the rubber conversion... and if so I got a guy that wants to invest in a bio plant, all Id have to do is house it and run it (includes finding the oil too).

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heared of people doing that, it's not a smart move. Over in Orlando there city buses use straight kerosene. But there motor are built for it.

dpantazis

Reaction score
he did say it was a specific type of fuel at the airport that he uses but at that point I wasn't listening anymore.

why did you tune out? AADD? LOL

which airport? the extra large one, the large one, the small one, or the smallest one?

if you are thinking about housing a bio plant around here, you'd be surprised at the clandestine lengths you are going to have to go through to diguise your activities. be warned.

dp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58