Just Bought A F450 Tow Truck

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post on this site. looks like a nice place with some good info.

i just bought a 1994 F450 with the PSD Turbo, have not gone through anything yet, just wondering what some good points of interest might be for checking out problems, or possible future problems. I have not even cleaned off the last owners name on the truck!

Ford put this motor in 30K ago, NEW motor, not a reman. 5 Speed & rear end was rebuilt last winter.

Any input would be awesome!
SDTOW1.jpg

SDTOW2.jpg

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
are you sure its a power stroke?as there were 3 different engine options in 94.7.3 IDI non turbo,7.3 IDI turbo and the PSD

nice lookin truck :sweet :sweet

heres a picture of my 94 F450 2 car carrier with the 7.3 IDI turbo auto trans and fully loaded

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, it is the PSD. i am a Ford man to right down to the tattoos, but the only diesels i have had the GM 6.5TD's. i kinda know them well, but i am new to the 7.3 PSD world.

i am told the true PSD has the injectors under the valve covers, and has the turbo, and some other things (not sure what other things are yet??) still learning here

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
oh and welcome to the forums!! there are a few more of us tow nuts on here that im sure will pop in to say hi.:D

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats good to know. i have found some nice forums and met some very nice folks. nothing like being able to share your input for others questions and problems! i am sure i will end up with a list of them soon.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
if you are planning on modding the engine you may run into some problems since the engine was replaced with a new engine.there is a possibility of it haveing the junk powdered metal rods instead of the forged rods.but we will deal with the after you decide what you wanna do and how far you wanna go with it.

first get a set of gauges,boost and pyrometer!!whether you are gonna mod it or not you should have these gauges.the factory should have installed them if you ask me.get a 3 inch downpipe or complete 4" system.open intake.either a tymar or home made tymar wannabe.being a tow truck you will be happy with a chip with a mild performance and a tow program.if you dont have an auxilary idle control you can get a chip with a high idle program to make the hydraulics work faster.

i highly recomend dealing with ryan bean at www.beansdieselperformance.com .customer service cant be beat!!!!!

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up! i just went out and double checked what i could only see in the barn with a flash light not knowing what i was reallt looking for.

the valve covers are LARGE, and have the waring sticker on the site something about High Voltage Wires Are Inside, Use Caution...."

i know off the bat it does need 1 pass side injector, i think #8?? i was told by a fella that the "Alliant" injectors are made by Catapillar and they are the only way to go?? $250 each is what i found + or - $3!

i have to agree, there are NOT enough gauges. i have EGT, Boost, and trans temp in my 6.5TD Suburban, so i planned on EGT, Boost, and maybe Oil Temp or Pressure for the 3rd gauges. i love the pillar pods!!

Last edited:

just shawn

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site mr taillight, i also am kind of a noob here and i also have a 93 gmc with a 6.5. i knew that i had seen that name "mr. tailight" on another board

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, thats me! i get on dieselplace.com all the time. i found out about this superduty site from there. thanks for the welcome

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14