Just Curious...Trying to learn!

00javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...What actually tells the Turbo to spool up and boost. Is there a relay or something that would tell the turbo to work normally and/or not work at all. Thanks!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a computer (the PCM) that controls everything on this engine, from your boost to the temperatures on your dash. There are sensors for the intake temperature, the Exhaust Temps, boost and everything else. When you get on the throttle, you cause more fuel to go into the engine, and more exhaust comes out. The turbo sees this exhaust and spools up faster. The more fuel the more exhaust and therefore more boost. This would eventually lead to an over-boost condition that would destroy your engine. The computer sees all of this boost and adjusts the vanes ion the turbo for the condition. If your engine is going slowly (rpm) the PCM will change the vanes to "low gear" for more boost at the slower speeds. If you are going all out, the computer (PCM) will shift to a higher setting so as not to destroy your engine. Everything comes into play here, loads, temperatures, oil pressures and such. This is a very complex system and I am trying to explain it simply. I know I have missed many things, but this is the general description.

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
As a follow on to the above, there i are tuners that will change your PCM to make more power and better mileage. But they can destroy your engine if you are not careful. Rule #1 is to get good quality gauges installed in your truck before you do ANYTHING to the engine! You will need to know how to monitor your gauges and when to get out of it if it gets hot. More fun...

Dave :)

00javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the descriptions that helps a lot...My turbo works perfectly for several days and then decides it doesn't want to work at all then it will boost back up and work. No codes or lights smoke or anything else...The theory of vanes sticking just doesn't seem to fit b/c it would still boost a little and not just go completely dead...Right?:dunno

00javelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What happens or should happen if I unplug the ebp sensor while the truck is running? Also if I drive with it unhooked and the turbo doesnt work at all and then drive with it plugged back up and the turbo works fine, could that be my problem?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Where is that located on the 05? Also can I unplug it and test it or something?

On the 2004 it is on the Drivers side near the front of the valve cover towards the outside of the engine. Over the exhaust manifold near the front. I am not sure about the 2005, but I would think it would be the same.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What happens or should happen if I unplug the ebp sensor while the truck is running? Also if I drive with it unhooked and the turbo doesnt work at all and then drive with it plugged back up and the turbo works fine, could that be my problem?

Are you saying or asking? Try it with it unhooked. It will set the Check Engine Light if unhooked. It may not set the light if bad. Who knows??

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58