photos Just my opinion on the 4r100

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a two wheel drive 4R100 that came from a 1999 ambulance that had 174,000 miles on it and cost me $150.Once I tore it down it had front and rear 4 gear aluminum planets, The front planet was wipe out along with the sun shell. I replaced both of them with 6 gear steel planets and got an up dated harden sun shell, the cost clutch drum was gouged out by the frictions, and I had to replace the two wheel drive tail shaft for a 4x4 tail shaft and get a cast-iron 4x4 tail housing. Complete bushing kit, a master rebuild kit, just haven’t decided in the sonix or the transgo. Like to but in the 4r100-lu transgo lockup kit in a PWM trans but don’t know how that would work so I like to get some info on that if any one can help me on that one. and the difference between the transgo or the transgo HD2 kits. I would definitely love some help on this. Thank you if you can help me

I don’t know why people think this transmission is so mysterious, I got the ATSG manual book to find all the small quirks and it was good to have this book and I recommend it. As far as up grading it you can find everything you need on line to make this transmission stronger, I don’t see any BIG secrets and all the hype on this! But I can tell you this, there is no end to the cost on how much $ you can put in to it .You can Easley spend 3,000 just in parts, so if your paying for a so called indestructible transmission for $3,000 I can’t see how ,You cant be getting all the up grades. Now with that said, I made all my own special tools to do this job as seen in the photo. and I made the transmission jig that bolts up to my engine stand and holds all rear wheel transmission.

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Is it possible that the shops that sell $3000 transmissions get a good discount on the parts. If they get the parts at cost then $3000 total is realistic.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the bullet proof ones are $4-5000 and up but really cool you did the work yourself. I wish I had the extra money to do the same.

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have rebuilt several automatic transmissions before. They are not that bad like people think. You just have to GO SLOW and keep everything organized and clean. I rebuilt a 4R100 and its a pretty simple transmission. I helped a friend rebuild his dodge transmission and that's a lot harder lol. Personally i think the 4r100 is a pretty good transmission stock if you are just using the truck for daily driving and not modifying the engine a lot. But as with any transmission the sun gears and planterys will fail with the hp and tq go up.

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you rebuilding it stock or for performance? and do you have a good bit of technical knowledge with working on your truck? there not really as bad as you think if you get a good manual (i have one somewhere i think i could probably forward you a copy of if you wanted to attempt it). if you have any questions send me a message.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind tearin one apart sometime. here's how I look at it, if you get into it and can't get it back together, the worst that can happen is you take all the brand new parts into your trusted tranny shop and pay them a couple hundred to put it back together. Just how I look at it.

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rebuild any ones transmission now for $299 in labor if thay bring just the transmission to me , and 699 if i have to pull it or if thay want to pull it out on my lift i do it for 499 . all they have to do is buy there own parts. And I even give them a 2 year guarantee on labor but not parts. And yes this is a very simple transmission to rebuild. and i can teach them how it works and how to rebuild it.LOL like all the magical mythical transmission gurus out there lololol

Last edited:

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a good price. you could be getting some business there. it doesnt take that long to rebuild one once you have knocked out a few before. i can probaly do a 4r100 pulling and rebuilding it in a full day. its simple and straight forward. have you ever rebuilt a Allison?

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i have ,two and that had to be the easiest of all transmissions ,this was my first 4r100 .On all the sites all you here is to go to just two rebuilders for these transmissions .I thought it was this high tech transmission for years .i do may be 5 transmissions a year but most are front wheel drive,I much rather pull a 4x4 . I love 4L60E and the 4L80 E thay just need a sun shell most of the time . After i tore down 4r100 i said where are all the parts lol..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58