Just ordered a new stereo...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of having no tunes in the truck, and since Uncle Sam FINALLY got us our tax refund this year, I ordered myself one of THESE from Crutchfield a few minutes ago. I went to Best Buy a few weeks back and played around with the head units they had. For the kind/volume of music I listen to, that stereo seemed like the best option since it's not the fanciest or most powerful head unit out there by far, but it does everything I need it to do and it's not terribly expensive. It should come in by the end of the week so Friday, when I have some free time, I'll install it. Since I won't be in a rush, maybe this time I'll actually solder the connections vs. crimping them.:doh:

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool !

i just added the iPod connection to mine...(wife has an ipod)...
im very impressed w/ the level of control & display information...
when connected to the wifes ipod/nano

im not much of a fan of ipods...but having used it just 2 days now
im thinking it the way to go....i might have to go find myself a 30
or 80 gig unit.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Nice choice on a new deck there John:sweet We're looking at the Pioneer DEH-P4900iB to put in our truck.

Don't forget to do the speakers if you already haven't done em;)

Can't recall if you have Satellite Radio but if you do just plug right into the back of the 5900 into the aux audio input:sweet

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice choice on a new deck there John:sweet We're looking at the Pioneer DEH-P4900iB to put in our truck.

Don't forget to do the speakers if you already haven't done em;)

Can't recall if you have Satellite Radio but if you do just plug right into the back of the 5900 into the aux audio input:sweet

Thanks--when I was at Best Buy I looked at the 4900 and feature-wise, it's pretty much a wash with the 5900 but the 5900's display is just a little spiffier so that's why I went with it. All the internals are the same (I think) so they'll sound the same but I had to cave in to the "looks" thing a little.

I ditched the stock speakers ~ 2 months after I bought the truck and replaced them with Boston Acoustics Pro's that sound GOOD so they're staying put.

I don't have Sat. radio and am going to wait a while to see what kind of hardware/programming issues come out of the XM/Sirius merger before pulling the trigger on a satellite radio system.

kenbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done tons and tons of stereo hookups. I always use an adapter kit from your local auto parts store to hook up to the factory wiring. Connecting the adapter kit to the new stereo wiring harness I always use the white-clearish barrier strips from Radio Schwack (You've got questions, we've got blank stares.. would you like to buy a cell phone?). They work GREAT and have worked for many many different installations I've done.

Just my $.02
--Ken

I'm tired of having no tunes in the truck, and since Uncle Sam FINALLY got us our tax refund this year, I ordered myself one of THESE from Crutchfield a few minutes ago. I went to Best Buy a few weeks back and played around with the head units they had. For the kind/volume of music I listen to, that stereo seemed like the best option since it's not the fanciest or most powerful head unit out there by far, but it does everything I need it to do and it's not terribly expensive. It should come in by the end of the week so Friday, when I have some free time, I'll install it. Since I won't be in a rush, maybe this time I'll actually solder the connections vs. crimping them.:doh:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good JV..................

Do they have one for old farts with the BIG numbers and preselect buttons that I can operate ??? :D

Tbar

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The thing I've always liked about Crutchfield is they(with stereo purchase) include the vehicle applicable harness kit to connect to the new stereo,installation kit(mounting hardware,faceplate,etc) and great instructions:sweet

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the new stereo installed on Friday and it's REEEEEEALLY nice having tunes back. The install was no big deal and only took ~2 hours to do since (1) I soldered the pigtail connections between the Pioneer harness and the Ford adapter Crutchfield sent me and (2) snaking the iPod connection cable between the dash opening and the glovebox took longer than I though (sliced the beejeebus out of my hands in the process since there are some sharp metal edges back behind the dash :eek: ). My overall impression of the stereo thus far is good: the display is very clear and easy to read even in bright sunlight, the menu/setup process went quickly even though I had to check the manual for a few questions, it's easy to switch between sources with the one-knob setup Pioneer has, and the sound is very pleasant even though I liked the pre-loaded eq. curves my old Kenwood head unit had more than the Pioneer eq. curves. I haven't had time to mess with custom eq. curves yet, but that's on my to-do list for when I get some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58