Just pondering an idea

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found a pretty good deal on another, fully programmed, TS chip ($180) the other day...and I got to thinking, wouldn't it be cool to be able to have 2 chips on one PCM??? Not at the same time though. Have the connection from the slector knob, split off to both chips. Then have the connection from the chip-to-pcm come to a slector switch....then from the slector switch to the PCM:dizzy. Then, idealy, you would be able to just switch chips by the selector switch. Of course you would do that with the key out of the ignition.

Any input??? I know it's a illogical idea/set-up for most. But I would find it pretty cool to do.

I wasn't able to get the chip though, someone else bought it before the guy could get back with me to let me know what PCM code it was for. But I'm sure another deal will run up sometime.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
What would be the advantage over a regular 'flip' chip? :dunno

The 'flip' chip in my truck has 6 different programs that I can change on the fly without having to pull over and shut it down.

Are you looking for 12 selectable tunes or something like that?

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for 12 selectable tunes or something like that?

Yep... I got my custom tunes from PHP. I'm not really happy with the 80DD tune. Of course I'm using the OHD as a bench-mark for my fuel milage. I can't calculate my mialge by hand because my spedometer is off. But according to the OHD I got about +2 mpg with the generic 100hp TS tune vs the 140 extreme tune from PHP. The 80DD gets 2mpg worse milage than that (so -4mpg of the PHP 80DD vs the TS 100hp). Of course, I'm not sure how accurate of a bench mark I can do with the OHD:dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yep... I got my custom tunes from PHP. I'm not really happy with the 80DD tune. Of course I'm using the OHD as a bench-mark for my fuel milage. I can't calculate my mialge by hand because my spedometer is off. But according to the OHD I got about +2 mpg with the generic 100hp TS tune vs the 140 extreme tune from PHP. The 80DD gets 2mpg worse milage than that (so -4mpg of the PHP 80DD vs the TS 100hp). Of course, I'm not sure how accurate of a bench mark I can do with the OHD:dunno

you can't, because it gets it's data from the same place the odometer does..

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can't, because it gets it's data from the same place the odometer does..

Right, I know it is off, but isn't it off anyways?...I've heard several people call it a "lie-o-meter". Only the tuning has changed in my truck, and the OHD has shown a drop in fuel economy. So I an just curious, since nothing else has changed, since the ohd says I've lost 2mpg...if that would be a real loss.

I really need to figure out some way to get my spedometer right. Dealership here says they can't flash the pcm. I reset the odometer when my gps said 50mi till the nest turn. After that 50mi, the odometer said 46mi.

dpantazis

Reaction score
ummmmm, Jody already beat you to more than 6 programs on a chip?

F5 1-16 Position Switch on the fly Chip - Featured Products

you are assuming that all the traces on the chip are switchable- i do not believe that they are. 2-3 of them are connected in series with the chip wiring.

1. your speedo reads 2-3 mph slower by design so you can not use the speedo as an excuse to get out of tickets. they NEVER read 100%, they are always slower. check any car you want, they are all slow.

2. you put 1000 pounds of weight on the front end of your truck. what do you think it does to the aerodynamics and fuel economy?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My buddy had a superduty and I know he said he had stacked chips?? Is that the same as running 2 chips? Of course he blew the truck up but I think thats what was on his. Im leanin towards gettin a chip and that Dp F5 looks pretty sweet!

dpantazis

Reaction score
the only chips you want to stack are Pringles. on a ford if you buy a REAL chip you only need to do it once.

dodge guys and some chevy guys do it, like putting a bulley dog and a quadzilla or van aken box together. its kind of silly really. in the end they spend more than buying a real one once.

you need to learn the "Law of Diminishing Returns meaning that there is a threshold that you will never cross regardless how much money you throw at it... you might get close, but you will never overcome it.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Your Odometer is off because your speedometer is off more than likely due to your large tires, obviously. On the 7.3's the speedometer is not controlled by the ecm. It is just a wire going to the t-case to a speed sensor right to the speedometer. That is why just a simple flash can't adjust it and why the tuners can't adjust it. Superlift makes an add on module that adjusts the pulse of the of the speed sensor between the t-case and the speedometer. Here is a link to one. Its a little expensive though. I don't know if you can change the little speed gear in the t-case like you can in the NP-231 t-case that is in my jeep but those little gears are only like $30
SUPERLIFT SUSPENSION TRUSPEED CUSTOM-FIT SPEED SENSOR CALIBRATOR - JCWhitney

And in fact the faster you go the farther off your odometer will be.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I just use my GPS for my speedometer and trip for mileage. When you fill up reset your trip(GPS) and when you fill up again you can figure your MPGs.
DP-Tuner is all you need for more tunes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58