Ka-Boooom got to shoot the 50 caliber

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
Several weeks ago I bought a Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber kit from a racing friend of mine. It was one of the older kits as I had to blue everything but the wood work was fantastic and all I had to do was some smooth finish sanding and a good polish of the brass to get out the sanding scratches and together it went. I loaded 80 grains of FFG with a patched ball and it hiy exactly where I ained on the 50 yard target. I couldn't see much for the smoke but it was really a blast!

Reaction score
Great lookin rifle i love my winchester 50 caliber but for a real kick i loaded it with 200 grains of powder thought i was gonna take my shoulder off :roflmao

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
my dad has a muzzle loader just like that. when i was younger i shot it many times.. davey crocket gun i called it.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I've got a CVA .50 cal that looks just like that, it's a blast to go shoot, but I get impatient after 15-20 rounds of loading, and switch to a cartridge rifle.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've got a .50 Hawken that is about #3 on "my favorite guns to shoot" list

btw... get a .45-70 hull... Pyrodex RS is 80gr at the neck...

get some extra nipples..
(heh heh I said "nipples")

I put a musket nipple on mine, but I think I got the last one ever made... I went to get a spare a couple years ago, and I couldn't find them for love or bore butter..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg