Keyless Remote Problems

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Here is my problem. My remote works according to the display at Autozone, but my Ex doesnt do a thing no matter what button I push. One day the Ex just stopped responding to the remote. I changed the battery in the remote thinking that was it, but no.

Where do I go from here to diagnose the problem?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) may be faulty and this is not uncommon with Excursions. Check out fuse #19 as it may be shot and/or corroded,not sure if the 2001 model fuse will be the same but in case it should be labeled as Body Security/4x4 in the owners manual.

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I will check that out.

If the Fuse is good I assume the GEM is then bad. Is that Dealer only? DO you know the cost? HOw difficult is it to get at?

THanks again

Chewman

Crazyhorse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that this will be my issue too, so if anyone knows more about replacing this, I'm all ears

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay someone let the cat out of the bag. Yeah there are problems with the gems on both superduty's and ex's but not because of the gems,because of leaking windshields,yes water leaks. A quick way to see if your pats system is working is to....

Remote Transmitter Programming
NOTE: All remote transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

NOTE: Programming (or reprogramming) the remote transmitters into the vehicle security module can be accomplished using a diagnostic tool or by carrying out the following steps:

NOTE: Before programming the remote transmitters, the vehicle has to be electronically unlocked using the door lock control switch, keyless entry keypad or a remote transmitter. Prior to storing the first transmitter identification code (TIC) received, the module must erase TIC and rolling codes for all previously programmed remote transmitters. Up to four remote transmitters can programmed to the vehicle security module.

Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN. If the vehicle security module has successfully entered the program mode, it will lock and unlock all the doors.
Press any button on a remote transmitter and the doors will lock then unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.
If the door locks do not respond for any remote transmitter, wait for several seconds and press the button again. Repeat Step 2 for each additional remote transmitter (up to four).
To exit the TIC programming mode one of the following must occur: the key is turned to the OFF position; 20 seconds has elapsed since entering programming or the receipt of a TIC; or 4 TICs have been programmed to the receiver. Exiting is acknowledged by locking and unlocking the vehicle if at least one TIC has successfully programmed to the vehicle security module.

Yes I cut and pasted,im not that much of a dork but thats the jist of it. Basically if your pats system is working correctly I can take both of your keys and your moms taurus key and program them to my truck. I do that when my batteries get weak in my remotes. I go to the lost key box and grab old remotes and program them to my truck. So give that a shot and good luck. If unsuccessful remove the fuse box and gem as a complete unit(under the dash),remove the main hot lead,and the connector that bolt to the back,the 4 10mm nuts and pull her out. check for water evidence or "green". Remove the gem from the fuse box and take it apart,check for the same. Bad part is that you can buy a gem from the dealer but it will need to be programmed most likely by your friendly local ford diesel mechanic,dont forget to buy him a case of beer. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg