Keypad problem

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
I had a personal code programmed into the keypad on the side of my Ex for the past year (I also, obviously know, the factory code I received is correct because I programmed a personal code in using it).

The other week I had totally dead battery (no lights or anything power)which sat in the truck overnight until it could be replaced the next morning. I got the battery replaced and the alternator check out , etc, etc. Now my keypad does not work at all. The factory code that DID work no longer works. It does light up when I press any of the keys and pressing the last 2 pads will lock the doors so I know its at least somewhat operational.

I'm not sure if the battery sitting out for 6 or so hours erased my personal code but I'm stumped as to why the factory code no longer works.

When I was trying to program it I did something that made the keypad blink for a while (maybe a diag mode?). I think I may have held the 9 down for an longer then normal period of time do this.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a service CD but it is of no help for ths problem.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
My first guess would be the VSM may have been subjected to a voltage spike condition causing it to hiccup perhaps :dunno

Have you already did a diagnostic rundown per the symptom from the CD?

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to drop my truck off to get some warranty work done since I had shoulder surgery and I could'nt drive the truck anyway. So in addition to getting my 4x4 hubs replaced and my stereo repaired I had them look at my malfunctioning keypad keyless entry.

They went thru everything on the keypad keyless entry and determined that the keypad is bad. It had to be ordered so now I'm waiting until it comes in and we'll see if that is it. The guy told me they recently had another Ford in and it just had its 2nd keypad installed within a year.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thanks for the update there Otto,I was wondering what the status was of the keypad issue,keep us posted:sweet

Bill

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
obonaventure said:
They went thru everything on the keypad keyless entry and determined that the keypad is bad. It had to be ordered so now I'm waiting until it comes in and we'll see if that is it. The guy told me they recently had another Ford in and it just had its 2nd keypad installed within a year.

Not the keypad. To be honest I'm not surprised that it was not the keypad. I brought it back in late yesterday so they could install the keypad and it still is not working. Since Monday is a holiday and I'm still not really driving I told them to keep it and keep looking.

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its finally fixed! It was the VSM (Just like you said Bill :sweet !). Here is the odd part. The unerasable entry code was gone from the module! In fac there was no information in the module at all (what ever other information is supposed to be there). I don't quite understand why that was not discovered the first time they ran diags but said they had to run diags on a different, specialized computer.

Kind of stinks now because I lost faith in the system. I use the keypad all the time. In the summer I'd lock everything in the truck, including the keys and would use the keypad to get back in. I even have the factory code in my wallet too just in case.

Ford insisted that I must have did something to it for it to have been erased. The only thing I did around the time it stopped working was replace the battery. My truck was jumped at that time too and I guess that could be a potential for a surge that could have blown the module out.

They were unable to reprogram it so they had to replace the entire module (it even comes with a new little plastic card with the factory keyless entry # on it). I rahter have it replaced then band-aided up.

I was told the new module is 2 versions newer then the old one. Does anyone know what was fixed in these two newer versions? I doubt any new feature were added but I figured I'd ask. I don't know the version # of the new one but I do have the old VSM with the label intact so I guess the old # is on there somewhere.

I was kind of surprised that they left the old one in the truck. I know in my field (computers) when you do warranty work the bad part must be returned for proper credit.

Is the old module worth keeping for any parts? I may crack it open to look around then trash it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
At least the road ended at the VSM and wasn't an unlocatable electrical gremlin.

If you can Otto,please shoot a few photos of the bad VSM (exterior) and email em to me:thanks :sweet

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14