KING RANCH OWNERS - I called King Ranch -

Reaction score
As stated - I called King Ranch this morning and was transferred to a lady to speak about caring for our seats. First thing she said to note was our seats are made of raw leather that is not sealed or treated - it's exactly the same leather they use on their saddles.

She said that they actually use the King Ranch seated trucks there on the ranch and themselves have to treat the seats at least twice a month due to the Texas heat and the front/side windows not being tinted.

She stated that if the color is leaving - then the oils are being lost and of course need to be replenished. Her advice was not to wait any longer than one month between treatments. Get real aggressive on trying to get the oils back in - i.e. soaking them literally and constantly until the levels are back up. Stated was that any light color - that white tinge is simply not enough oil.

Also noted was that they of course only recommend using the King Ranch conditioner as that's what they use through out the process for the leather. Also the conditioner is not a cleaner nor pH balance - it's just oil. I did mention Lexol as a lot of people use it - she didn't seem to be a big fan of it and said there were other top quality products and again went back to the King Ranch conditioner.

So - don't know what else to say except I'll try getting real intense with applying it and see what happens.

Of course I had hopes for some magic words of wisdom that would help us get back - but nope - just not enough oil. She was very friendly and didn't seemed rushed at all - nice to talk to.

If you have tried or use something that you think works rather well - post it here so others can try it.

Ron

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
I guess I will have to get me some of that.

Frankly, I don't know what to use, or not use. I've used Lexol, but, even I'm not happy with the results.

I love the seats. I just want to find the right product to use.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Well there is one reason that I'm glad I don't have a King Ranch

But I do love the smell of those rigs! :sweet

Last edited:

Tennessee Titan

Eddie Henson
Reaction score
On my Excursion and my wife's Volvo, I use Meguire's Leather Cleaner and Leather conditioner. The Volvo is a 1995 model and this has worked really well keeping the leather oiled. I usually treat the seats about every two months. I got the stuff at Wally World. I believe it is also sold at Autozone as well. It is a two step process. First, use the cleaner. Then go back over the seats with the conditioner. Hope this helps.:thumbs

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i have heard if you drive naked a few times a week the natural oils will restore the luster :roflmao
in the interim i used meguirs as well , its a little thick but seems to hold up well

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Well, can't you just go down to a saddle shop and get the best saddlesoap, then replenishing oils, mabe hit it with a water proofer to keep the oils in longer. The only downside is that the leather might darken a bit from the waterproofer.
Just a few cents from a farm kid

Good Luck
E

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Will this conditioner transfer to your cloths? I'm afraid of staining, any input?

Reaction score
As an update - yesterday I started applying "boot oil" (Filson) to the very front lower part of the passenger seat. So far it's looking real good. It's all getting sucked up in no time and the color is starting to come back. I plan on several more coats and then finishing up with a regular automotive type compound - not sure what just yet.

My fear was that it would leave it greasy - but nope - sucked it right up.

I selected this part to test on as it's not really all that noticeable if it doesn't work as I hoped for.

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14