Lack of power

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What does the EGR do exactly?

Does it control the amount of Exhaust gas recirculated?

Will not the combustion temperatures rise if removed?

Do you need reduce exhaust back pressure and improve airflow before messing with this?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand how diesels work.:dunno

Thanks.:)

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DesertEagle50,

Well I did not blow the truck up so it works. I drove around the freeway at 2:30AM testing this mod out. More Turbo whistle, kicks in sooner on the rpm cover and the tranny shifts smoother without engine warmup. Our temp is 45F in the evening which is not really that cold.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DesertEagle50,

Well I did not blow the truck up so it works. I drove around the freeway at 2:30AM testing this mod out. More Turbo whistle, kicks in sooner on the rpm cover and the tranny shifts smoother without engine warmup. Our temp is 45F in the evening which is not really that cold.

I drive my truck everday and I noticed a difference immediately. My truck definately idles smoother now. Also I noticed some increase in power. Ayways-next on my list is the zoodad....I cant wait!:sweet

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Unplug egr? Shut key off, remove plug. Start, drive, enjoy. Do it, then you tell me how it runs. :sly

if your truck is an 03/04 you can unplug the EGR w/out setting off a CEL, if it is a california model, or an 05up truck, you will get CEL ..

you can disable the EGR function w/SCT tuning (preferred), but if you want to unplug it , here's the Proper way:
truck must be COLD, the preferrable way to unplug the egr, is to do it first thing in the morning when the truck is at it's coldest. Turn the key "ON", but do not start it... let the computer come online, and read all the sensors, and it will make sure the EGR valve is in the CLOSED position if it isn't already..

then turn the key off, and unplug the EGR valve (just behind the intake elbow) however this does NOT keep hot exhaust gas from entering the egr cooler and now you will have hot gasses trying to flash boil the coolant in your egr cooler. you may or may not notice any increase in performance, some do, some don't...

mine seemed to actually idle quite a bit louder when i had mine unplugged, and it negatively affected my MPG.. i have since totally changed my entire setup, and i no longer have any egr function at all, but if you are going to try it, that's the way to do it.

hope this helps.

vinceismyhero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I tried this and it didn't seem to help. I'm thinking the injectors might be getting clogged. Is there a product i can mix with my diesel to clean them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14