Latest recall results.. 06E17

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Supposedly the International folks LOVE that assembly lube. And it can take a good long time to ooze on out. I understand the assembly lube problem was with the 2004 and up trucks so that is probably not your problem.

Have them check the rocker carrier seals. I had an oily bell housing, my oil was dyed, and it glowed like Three Mile Island when I brought it back. The tech traced it back to the rocker carrier seal on the right side of the engine. The tech had to replace the valve cover gasket and bolts, as well as evacuating and recharging the A/C to get at the thing. It probably would have been easier to just lift the cab.

Problem solved, no runs, no drips, no errors. :D

Scot

;()
Reaction score
new update on oil leak...

My motor is being pulled today. They say my leak has been traced to the bed pan. My SA admits he's not sure what that is but wanted to update me. can someone explain what it is since he could not???

Thanks -popcorn

Scot

;()
Reaction score
It's back....

Everything seems to be running great now. The running concerns were corrected by reflashing Quote - "Reset KAM and perform VGT relearn process". The "8's" on the odometer just went away after the batteries were unhooked for engine removal and the reflash was done.

I thought the bed pan would be pretty simple once the motor was out. I was VERY wrong. Take a look at the list of parts
Bed%20pan%20leak%20full%20image.JPG
I guess it's a little more complicated than I thought.

They replaced a chaffed lower radiator hose & air filter. Nice to have that done without labor charges since the motor was out anyway:D

Sorry about the brain fade on this Thread everyone.:confused:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
great to hear she is making a full recovery
bed plate aint no joke
did they pop your cab off the frame to fix it

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I have no clue???? That would have been cool to get a pic of if they did. Looking under the hood I don't see how that motor could come out with the cab on??? I'm doing shocks, ball joints, brakes & sway arm bushings over the weekend. After all this it's going to feel like a new truck again.:D :sweet :D

04Powerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scot said:
I have no clue???? That would have been cool to get a pic of if they did. Looking under the hood I don't see how that motor could come out with the cab on??? I'm doing shocks, ball joints, brakes & sway arm bushings over the weekend. After all this it's going to feel like a new truck again.:D :sweet :D
The dealers here pull off the whole front mask, then out she comes. They don't even have to pull the hood. They use a cherry picker. I watched them do mine when it was pulled for an oil pan gasket, front and rear oil seals and heads.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the dieselman's site and found hs write-up about this recall.

What is interesting is the extra procedure to clear codes(if any) and test drive.... makes me wonder if those with "bad experiences" with this recall did not have it done with the latest WDS computer update number or if the procedure used was not done correctly????

Seems there is/was a broadcast message to go along with this recall???

Here is the cut and paste of info:

2003/04 Computer Programming Recall 06E17:Truck built before 9-29-03 are being recalled to have the computer reprogrammed. The reason for this recall is to correct fuel injection timing during cold operation, EGR valve control, lack of power, check engine light illumination (P02263 or P0299), hard starting and rough running concerns related to Exhaust BackPressure sensor corrosion. Other symptoms not listed in this recall, but which could occur, would be excessive smoke, turbo control and surging at idle or cruise. The new update eliminates the EBP sensor input to the computer. The exhaust backpressure will now be inferred/calculated using other sensor signals. Trucks should be reprogrammed using versions 41.8 or 42.1 or higher.

After this reprogramming, the truck should be test driven, the computer checked for a codes and the codes cleared (even if none are present), the key cycled on for five seconds, then turned off twice, then the engine started and allowed to idle for 5 minutes at operating temperature to allow the computer to relearn the EGR valve closed position value. This is to prevent erronious codes or driveability sysmptoms related to the EGR valve an turbo performance. Broadcast Messages 5452, 5529.

You should notice an increase in turbo cycling closed/whistling at idle and at stops. This is normal, and is to help keep the variable vanes from sticking.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Beachbumcook, Yep that's it

It appears when my truck went in the first time something was not done correctly. A final resolution was not reached until I brought it back a third time & took the tech who worked on it for a ride. After I was able to show him what was happening he grabbed his computer and we went for an extended drive and got Ford tech support on the phone. They gave us that exact procedure and it corrected everything. He ended up spending 2 hours with me to make it right. On my batch of motors (early 03) if they do not do the exact procedure listed,

"the key cycled on for five seconds, then turned off twice, then the engine started and allowed to idle for 5 minutes at operating temperature to allow the computer to relearn the EGR valve closed position value"

the truck has trouble relearning and will not be right until it is done correctly. After we did that and drive about 15 miles all was good.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14