Latest thoughts on Trans fluid?

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just read many old threads on trans fluid, some from over two years ago.

I'll outline where I'm at and take your suggestions. My 1999 F-350 has 130,000 on it. The transmission has 80,000 on it. I think when the new trans was put in the mechanic used Mobil 1. I have had the mechanic drain and fill the trans a couple of times now and I believe Mobil 1 has been used every time. I don't think a full flush was done, but only a drain and fill. I don't even know if the torque convertor was drained.

I'm going to tackle the task myself this time. I'm thinking I should replace the filter. Should I just drain the pan and torque convertor or try and do a complete flush? Do I use Mobil 1 or can I save some money with a generic Mercon V labled fluid and not notice a difference? Is the Mobil 1 that much better?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If you do alot of towing in where the fluid temps are high I'd stick with the synthetic but if it's a regular driver within normal temps I'd stick with manufacturer recommended transmission fluid.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Use the synthetic. I would drain the converter.Drain and drop the pan. Check for trash in the pan. Clean the magnet put a new filter and button it up.:burnit

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do alot of towing in where the fluid temps are high I'd stick with the synthetic but if it's a regular driver within normal temps I'd stick with manufacturer recommended transmission fluid.

Kind of what I'm thinking, but being cheap is also motivating me. Mobil 1 (which is in the trans now) is $7 a quart and Advanced Auto has the Valvoline Mercon fluid for .95 a quart :sly

I just don't want to be penny wise but pound foolish.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of either regular ATF or synthetic use, get a trans temp gauge installed. If you do a lot of towing, look into having additional colling added to your truck.

Keep in mind synthetic can take higher temps than regular ATF, which is a good thing. Your trans clutch material will NOT handle the increased temps.

Butch Cassidy

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gauge on the way. I plan to monitor temps for a little while before doing the fluid change, although I'm sure it will be a little cooler now than it would be in the summer.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't say where you are from, but down here in the south where it gets real hot in the summer I would stay with the synthetic, becaue it can take higher temps.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do not tow much, only a car and trailer sometimes. i have a trans temp gauge. what would be normal temperature. i heard about 80 degrees above ambient is that about right. what would be hot temp. i see up to 210 on a hot day towing. just curious about changing to synthetic

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
hey guys, what about castrol fluid for 1.99 a quart? any good?? please let me know what you guys use. I need to get this going before the weekend. ill be hauling a load up to RoadAmerica.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hey guys, what about castrol fluid for 1.99 a quart? any good?? please let me know what you guys use. I need to get this going before the weekend. ill be hauling a load up to RoadAmerica.

you suck. :tounge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58