Latest thoughts on Trans fluid?

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
For regular atf, I've always tried to keep the temps below 250 deg, if it hit 250, I'm pullin' over. With synthetic, you can take it a little higher. The key for me is to keep the fluid from burning, as it will ruin it's ability the lubricate and condition the internal parts. Usually, the way a tranny goes south, is the fluid gets burned, nobody notices or cares, and then the trans slowly eats itself up inside. This is also why it's important to replace ALL the fluid when doing a trans service. Dropping the pan only changes about one third of the fluid. We would never do that with our motors, why with the trans?

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 6 spd manny tranny, but switched over 2 Amsoil Syn oil just 4 longevity !!!

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Sorry, it's been a long time since i was on here last. I'm just running my a#$ off trying to pay the bills lately. My sd has a manual trans, but the wife's tahoe has valvoline synthetic. 153,--- miles, it has a trans temp gauge, and it's pulled max combined weight of 12,000 lbs more then once. I have never even had burnt fluid in this vehicle, and still running on the original tranny. fwiw

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
One of the BEST Transmission longevity guarantees is the addition of a finned Aluminum extra capacity Tranny Pan with magnetic bolt. The Hughes aluminum tranny pan adds about 5 more quarts of cooling transmission fluid to help stave off the dreaded heat. Frequent oil changes if you pull frequently are a big help along with a new filter,and try adding a qt of LUCAS Transmission Fix in place of one qt of tranny fluid. Watch your temps with your trans gauge and don't over heat the transmission! Make sure your antifreeze and radiator are in good shape to keep engine temps down too! Synthetic fluid is better than regular. FORD has a new MERCON out that superceedes the old Mercon,so check to make sure you use the correct type required by the Manufacturer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58